Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero and Parks

somedad56

Recently, I went hunting with a friend of mine who uses a Shadow X-2. We went to a local park where the ground was saturated with junk. Everytime I would swing my Vaquero I hit tons of signals as if the trash was scattered everywhere. The same thing happened to my friend with the Shadow X-2. However, because of the Shadow X-2's coin check feature, he was able to pick out the coins from all of the signals and I was not. Does anyone have any hints, tips or suggestions for being able to compete for coins in a very trashy park using a Vaquero? I tried turning sensitivity down, going to a 5 3/4 coil, nothing worked because each time either of us swung it was constant signals he just had the advantage over me by being able to quickly check the signal to see if his coin check feature told him it was a coin or not.I know the Vaquero is a better machine than that Shadow X-2 I just cannot seem to keep up with him in the parks finding the new coins. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Gerald

If all you are looking for is new coins, crank the disc up. You will loose nickels but but at least you will be on an even par with your partner. You could also listen for the fainter signals, and maybe dig older coins than you partner. The only other trick you can use is to thumb the disc while sweeping the target, to see where it drops out.

I see that Scully answered as I was writing this.

Is the coin check feature just a high pre-set disc setting? If you crank up your disc setting you may be able to perform the same magic. Also I found that by running my V on the cool side of GB rather than performance maxed out, I was able to really nail the coins and put a lot of the iron bits to rest. I did fairly well with my V as a coin shooter but I did have to keep my thumb on the disc to dial targets in and out......

Also, what are the targets that are causing you grief? Try digging a few of them up and see if there really are no differences between good and bad targets. If you want strictly a coin shooter the V may not be your best choice.

Lower your sens to 2 or 3, crank up the disc so that large clad and copper and silver are still responding and see how it works out for you.

All good advice. If you want the V to be an ID machine, you gotta thumb that DISC knob.

Test the V on certain trash, too. while at home. Foil and tabs both have a signature you CAN discern with practice. Also put a mark on the DISC scale for nickle and tab cut off. This will help the thumbing.

Heres anohter idea - get a Golden or Cortez to go along with that V.

Exactly right. I do that on a regular basis.
:detecting:

I thank all of you for your replies! I have done some research with my machine and found that between the tab mark and the next mark on my discriminator is a good place for me to set the discriminator in order to just find modern coins in parks. I love the Vaquero but this is really where a dual disc shines such as on the Tejon...so I have one of those too lol. Thanks again guys for all of the input!

Gerald

I am pretty sure that I will be getting another V to fill out the stable for next year. I am presently hunting with an M6 by White's and think that it is a very good machine.

I would like a lighter beep dig machine for certain types of hunting. I find myself using the tone ID more so than the VDI numbers. Our ears can process so much information, usually, while doing other things.

A mix of the two types of machine is the way to go. As good targets become more scarce it is becoming abvious to me that one machine is not the way to go anymore. The Vaquero is unparalleled in finding masked coins. You just have to play with your machine and find the "spots". Dave, was it you that talked about marking with a sharpie on the faceplate of exactly where certain targets started to break up? With the Disc setup on the V, C and Tejon this is a very precise and inexpensive method of TID. It is also more stable than any VDI number system.

Good luck and hang in there with the V, I will be coming back to one in the future. Small coils rule on this unit.

All good advice. Thumb the disc, practice and learn what the machine is telling you. I learn new things every day with this crazy hobby!!!!
BTW did I mention practice
Greg