Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3 pulls a KGIII

It was not deep, read 4 3/4", but most likely quite a bit deeper (large coppers will give shallower readings, smaller buttons will give deeper readings). VDI 69-71.

The coins surprised me because I have only found later 1800's and early 1900's finds at the site. I was hoping for a Merc or two. This was a welcome surprise.
[attachment 146474 PB2900231.JPG][attachment 146475 PB290024.JPG]
[attachment 146476 PB290030.JPG][attachment 146477 PB290032.JPG]

Right on! Very happy for you in finding those! Looks like they stand a chance of turning out decent too. Great finds Neil! Good luck on working that site!

nw1886 said:
Right on! Very happy for you in finding those! Looks like they stand a chance of turning out decent too. Great finds Neil! Good luck on working that site!

That is one coin, before and after cleaning. Sorry I wasn't clear in my post. Fertilizer did a number on it, and I am not going to attempt any more cleaning than that.

I bet that made your heart skip a beat or two......thanks for sharing Neil.

Congratulations

Still...My heart would have skipped like crazy too! Stuff from our early history is just so dang special.

Man that is so cool! How old do you think it is?

Aaron said:
Man that is so cool! How old do you think it is?

The coin is a variety dated 1770-1775. The reality is that these types of coins are always counterfeits, probably minted in the 1780's. There was a shortage of coinage in the colonies and entrepreneurs took advantage of the situation and made lightweight replicas of the Regal Halfpennies and Farthings. I see dozens of these dug on the east coast each month and have yet to see a genuine Regal copper.

Still a awesome find, a 100 yrs older than any coin I've ever found. You know your stuff dude!

Fertilizer does do a number on them and large cents. I have dug quite a few of them this year, but yours has alot more detail than any I have dug , good find