Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V for Victory...my Cherry Picking settings are killing it!

REVIER

Long one, if you would rather just scroll down to the pretty pictures below.

I have some new cherry picking settings I have been trying, a very narrow range but I want to see if I can quiet everything down around here because the wall of noise I usually have to listen to can be daunting.
I am good at hunting with massive jumping and noise with really hot settings and in really bad dirt infested with iron and trash but I still have to belive I am still missing some really masked targets, targets everyone has been looking for since detectors have been invented.

Settings are Sense high as possible with no chatter, Multi, Field 2, I know Field 1 and Park 1 are more weighted for high conductors but P2 seems to work better and F2 better than that.
I knocked everything out up to 11, 12 and 13 in with a higher tone about 20, and 14 also in with a lower tone at 14.
Nickels hit at either 12 or 13 around here, it could change depending on the site.
Sta tabs can hit there too but mostly they are 14-15 so I threw the 14 in there to listen for any drops in tone as it flirts with that 14 on some signals.
Every signal that I dug that did that was always a tab so I just quit digging them.
Some jumpy 12 -13's can be either nickels or tabs/trash...mostly trash, and most nickels have been solid 12's or 13's.
This thing loves nickels.
I dig all solid signals and a lot of the other 12-13's just in case.
I also zapped out everything from 15-23 so I could go for all copper and higher clad and silver coins and silver jewelry at 24 and up with the highest tone.
I am aiming for older silver coins doing this and also hoping to catch old nickels or a nickel area gold ring if I get lucky.
Yea, I will be missing zincolns, IH's, smaller gold, large gold class rings and other things but the goal is to make it quiet as possible to enable me to hear even a piece of the shortest and most masked targets that really know how to hide in my weird mineralized devil dirt.

The first time I tried these settings I hunted a park that has been hunted forever and by myself more times than I can count.
I also switched over from the sniper to the standard coil for better coverage despite the high density of iron and trash.
I was hoping the quiet environment would help and that the disc system works efficiently to actually give me signals only on targets in those narrow ranges accurately.
Also I needed the target separation to really work well on these settings even with that big coil.

In this park that has not given up much more to me lately than a little shallow modern clad these settings found me all of this all that stuff in the pic below...plus a real chunky 11+ gram silver ring I am wearing now.
Jaw kinda dropped on that hunt, hard to believe all that was still there.
Sure, I couldn't have run my coil over every inch of this place and missed some of those coins in the past but this was not just a few targets and the Nox was picking them out easily all day.
Look at the amount of high tone targets, quarters, dimes and copper cents and a surprising amount of nickels.
I am thinking most of them were on edge or masked somehow but the Nox had no issues seeing them.

Ok, now yesterday I wanted to see if this was a fluke so I walked half a block down to my closest park that I have been to literally hundreds of times because it is so close.
When I have little time it is handy for quick hunts and it is large so I have explored several areas and found some great treasure but this time I was in a smaller area that is loaded with trash, my ever present iron infestation and where I have found a couple of clad coins in the past but never much else except a whole lot of junk.
I still had the large coil mounted but I went in anyway with high hopes.
Sense was maxed out at 25, like my F70 it seems that on the Nox using a whole lot of disc really quiets everything down, like on that first hunt I wasn't hearing much squeaking or falsing, just signals when I was over targets.
I dug a couple of coins I missed before, a copper memorial and a clad dime, and mostly a few pieces of junk that were high conductors, a bit of rusted iron that was jumpy but I went after it any way and a couple tabs that were those 12-13 only jumps.
Most other iron I avoided by hitting the horseshoe button and listening for the low iron tone along with any of the higher ones.

Then I was just moving slowly around a huge tree and got a solid 12 from every direction...no jumps, it just stayed on that 12.
I dug a hole, chopped open a hole, actually, because we are super dry here and everything is like concrete.
Like maybe 4-5" down I finally flip out a bunch of dirt and see something round in the pile.
Coool, a nickel and I love finding old nickels.
It could have been a Washington and if it was I hoped it was older into the 40's but I really love buffs so I was wishing for one of those.
It was super crusty like most everything is here, especially deeper targets and nickels specifically, but I kept rubbing and I saw no Washington, no Indian head, no buff, no nothing on that side and as a matter of fact it was wiped clean...flat as a pancake.
I have found a few of these in the past and I knew what this meant so I turned it over and rubbed off the other crusty side and I finally see a faint outline of Lady Liberty and some stars...plus a date.
A V NICKEL...I was shocked, and I smiled!

This is the kind of thing the Nox is doing around here, I don't know why, the multi q or whatever and I wonder if these coins were on edge because I know I have found several that were definitely on edge so I know mine with the update is working well.
It could be the thing is dealing with iron better, lord knows we have more than our share of that around here and masking is our number one issue.
Whatever it is this thing is working and continuing to drop my jaw.
As soon as I have a hunt where I don't find anything I will switch back to the sniper and hit these sites again and see if even more will pop up.

BTW...I can see that other versions of these settings can come in handy.
Knock out everything but the zinc range and look for Indian Head cents.
Only accept foil and look for small gold.
Set it up to look for almost any specific ranges and targets of your choice while quieting everything else around it so you have a good shot at noticing them...it seems to be working well for me so far.

I changed Park1 per the Cherry Picking set-up shown in the Equinox Handbook. Used a few times, it will be helpful in parks that are drying out and I want to disturb the ground as little as possible but still some find some collectibles.

I don't even try for nickels when cherry picking. I dig 17 and higher trying for Indian heads and above. It has worked well for me.

Same wavelength brother.

Did similar a month ago. I swear it was finding the masked items for me too. I was able to dig a war nickel out of a spot I've killed so many times with an F2, F70 and my 600. I recently opened up the disc, but only in an effort to see if the cherry-picking settings were hampering my depth, which I am inconclusive about at the moment.

Run no discriminating. Turn unwanted sounds to zero. Great think about the nox 800

Trailduster said:
Same wavelength brother.

Did similar a month ago. I swear it was finding the masked items for me too. I was able to dig a war nickel out of a spot I've killed so many times with an F2, F70 and my 600. I recently opened up the disc, but only in an effort to see if the cherry-picking settings were hampering my depth, which I am inconclusive about at the moment.

I have depth issues here, galore, in the rarer black dirt we might be able to get a bit deeper but for most of us the accurate ID data for hunters around here usually ends at the 5-6" mark.
We can get deeper but the signals get so screwed up and skewed a whole lot of treasure is still there but hiding well past 5" and masking is a problem on some shallower targets, too.
The Nox seems to be able to read these deeper and/or severely masked targets better than others I have tried here.
For months now I have been finding old and silver coins in areas that have been scoured for decades but were missed by everyone and the Nox seems to be doing it easily.
None of those targets were deeper than 5" and most were in heavily hunted public sites and all should have been found easily in normal conditions but here they were all missed.
Luckily, in my normal clay filled dirt sites even older targets don't sink much more than 5-6" and the Nox is getting them but there are exceptions and the Nox seems to be getting a few of them, also.
On lower sense, too...even 14, 15 or 16 seems to be getting me deep enough for my needs in areas I need to cool it down some.

These settings are pure cherry picking, I would never use them all the time but if I am at a site where finding silver in a sea of iron and trash is paramount these settings might come in handy.

Revier did you leave the other settings for field 2 in their stock settings? Like the target tones 5 or 50, Iron bias, Recovery speed?

Revier did you leave the other settings for field 2 in their stock settings? Like the target tones 5 or 50, Iron bias, Recovery speed?

44newman said:

I messed with most of them.
When I get a chance I will write them all down and post them here.