Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:usaflag: What a Day!! :detecting:

Cupajo

I got home this afternoon to find that Clive's new book had arrived!

I checked with my jeweler friend and picked up the reward for finding 13 gold rings and called my Whites dealer friend and picked up a brand new Dual Field!

A late evening (just before dark) spin at the water's edge, above the water line, yielded 2 pennies and various nails, wire etc. none of which were exceptionally deep!

I gave the coins to a 4 year old boy that was watching very closely (too closely!) every move I made! (He wanted to scour the beach with my Garrett's Propointer to see what he might find!)

I spoke to a handful of people and children about the hobby demonstrating how the machine works and reassuring them that if they would just use a detector long enough it would pay for itself as mine had!

I'll hold off on printing my opinions of the Dual Field until I have had a chance to use it in the water!

On wet sand it seems no better than any other PI!

Maybe when I get in the suds after reading Clive's new book on using the PI I might have more to report!

CJ

n/t

Days like that are super! Mostly i never liked an audience because of really stupid or snarky comments from some adults, some were decent though and i always responded to kids and often gave out some 40's 50's pennies or sometimes 60's/70's metal toy cars which they thought were super old!:lol:

I agree with you Wayne about how some folks can be smart mouthed and a pain to put up with!

The usual remark is when I find a large diamond it is theirs!

I just smile and tell them there are twenty five other people that told me the same thing so they will just have to get in line!!

I have learned to remove my earphones and take a moment to educate them about what I am doing and about what the hobby is about and how I have removed many fishhooks, bits of wire and broken bottles from the very beach where they are so casually walking barefooted to prevent them or perhaps a child from making a trip to the hospital!

I explain that metal detecting is unlike golf or most other hobbies going to pay for itself if you will get out and use the machine.

I also assured the folks I've spoken to that if the only motivation is money they can forget about it as I can make many times what I dig up at any job!

If it is a child I (discretely) show them what I am doing and how the machine works and sometimes l will send them on their way with a small coin or toy.

These actions promote the hobby, educate the ignorant and create good will .

If one wants fresh air, sunshine and interacting with people plus usually enough money to pay for coffee then this is the best hobby there is!

CJ

I still have to spend some time with the DF to really understand her.

It's been too hot to catch the tide this week (which has been at mid-day), but early and late low tide is a few days away.

Clive's book helps and has answered the questions that have come up so far.

As for "the reward", I was of course referring to what I got for selling the 13 rings.

I was at the beach today asking around about a ring I found last year that I am trying to return.

I got a good lead on a wedding ring with three large diamonds from one person and a Ladies Rolex from another!

Wish me luck,

CJ

n/t

I haven't been "formally" asked to find either of these jewels, but I know who lost them and am obliged to see them returned should the hunting gods allow me to find them!

The diamond ring might be good for a reward and the watch might get my wife and me a set down to a meal in a fine local restraunt owned by the lady that lost the watch.

Counting chickens?

CJ