Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:usaflag::usaa:Metal detecting in England

jolin376200

Hello All
I have a question I am planning on going to England for one of those Metal Detecting tours www.metaldetectingtours.com does anyone know about this and any other information would be very help full

Did you read the site pretty well. By my understanding if you make a find that is considered a treasure you may get 50% or none at all. I dont think I would pay 3000 dollars for a trip that I cant keep what I find especially if it is very valuable or over 300 years old.

gware12 said:
Did you read the site pretty well. By my understanding if you make a find that is considered a treasure you may get 50% or none at all. I dont think I would pay 3000 dollars for a trip that I cant keep what I find especially if it is very valuable or over 300 years old.

gware,

don't let that throw you completely..... It is a fact, if you find something with treasure value or historical and museum quality's, the British Gov. may just keep it for themselves, to be put in a public museum...But at the same time, they do give you a fare value estimate and give you the cash value, instead of the item itself back. Not to bad, ending up with a pocket full of cash and knowing one of your finds is in a British Museum...

I know a fella, who found some very very old artifacts in Bronze, These where never found before. The Gov decided to put them into a museum, and since he found about 8 of them in a cache, they actually gave him one back for his collection and kept the rest. Plus he received a cool cash value of some very High 00,000.00 Double digit thousands of dollars.... Took over two years, but he said well worth it in the end. He's still to this day, very proud of his find.

And this was on a hunt in England...

TigerNed

I have been detecting in the UK on 13 separate trips. I have been on all the major tours. This tour is absolutely fantastic. I have been on this tour 4 times and am heading back for the 5th time on Sept 17th. You will have to record your finds with the UK authorities and the tour operator takes care of that for you. After the UK museum authorities are finished reviewing your finds they will be sent to you at your home address. In all 13 trips I have never had the museum keep a single item, and I have never been shorted a single find. They are all listed prior to submission and you have a record of all of them. I take a camera with me as I like to take photos to show off when I return home.

Why this trip over others? It usually has 6 people and never more than 8 or 9. The van stays within walking distance of you all day so you can get in out of bad weather and eat lunch with the other detectorists. The facitlities are great and the food is good. The detecting is by far the best of any of the trips available. I documented 19 hammereds, 11 Romans, 2 brooches, and a Saxon fish brooch on the trip last fall. No way can you beat that and I wasn't the only one with those kinds of results.

I have no interest in the tour other than as a customer. If you have any other questions feel free to email me at joebrown101@aol.com.

You should have a ball. Be sure though that it is a reputable operator. All you have read is true. You need to register old finds and anything deemed treasure is subject to inquest. Don't let this stop you. I have gone 4 years and have gotten to keep everything I found once it was documented. This included about 30 hammers, 150 or so artifacts including a roman dolphin made of bronze and a celtic or roman sword pommel. Let me know if you have other questions. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on as they say!
Pritch