Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:usaflag: This evening I thought I would cool off with a spin at the waters edge on a nearby beach!! :detecting:

Cupajo

As I often do this evening I drove to the end of the center road that leads directly to the waterfront and parked there. As I was getting my gear together a local constable drove up and said that I couldn't park there!

I assured him that I had been parking there in spite of the no parking, police only sign for months!

I also told him that I was only parking there in the early morning and late evening hours and never on Friday or Saturday evenings as I was aware these were very busy times and I didn't want to be in the way!

I assured him that as a long time resident I had been permitted to park there and that I had spoken to several officers about this very thing!

He said how do I write a $50.00 ticket for several people for parking here and then allow you to park here?

I told him that was simple, tell anyone that may ask that I was performing a public service by removing harmful things from the beach (and he would be right!).

As payment I was satisfied with interacting with anyone that may be interested in what I was doing and the few clad coins and the very few valuables I might recover!

I mentioned that I had returned 33 gold rings to their owners and that just this week I had removed a steel eating fork, a steak knife and three pieces of broken bottle from the beach!

I also mentioned that I was constantly filling holes dug by children and some thoughtless adults so no one would step in them and be hurt and taking away any potentially harmful items from the beach such as two fishing hooks, rusty nails,and wire in the past several weeks!

I mentioned too that I had spoken to another constable and a couple of state troopers about what I was doing and they had left me alone!

He relented and a short while later a state trooper was parked nearby and presumably they had a chat.

I moved to a place where they could easily approach me if they so desired and they both drove away.

Hopefully I am free from further problems, but I assured the young man that if there was any problem and I would have to move, just let me know and I would park at a nearby parking area that I bought a permit for.

Another day in the life of a treasure hunter!!

CJ

I must say that you handled the situation very good with the constable. I don't think that I could have presented a case as well as you did and probably would have ended up parking somewhere else just to keep the peace and keep from getting the ticket. Most law enforcement folks that I encounter are usually decent folks, especially if you do not give them a hard time if you are guilty of a traffic offense.

How far is this beach from your home? Do you see many folks using a metal detector on the beach? Can the salt air damage the metal detector over a period of time? Once is a while, a man by the name of BayRat will post on this forum and he lives down near the Texas Gulf Coast. I am thinking about riding down there one weekend and doing some beach hunting. This would be a new experience for me. I have noticed how you and George find good things down on the beaches, and I think that Royal and Mike even dive in the water and find good treasure items. Kelley (Texas) :)

It remains to be seen whether or not I will be able to continue to park there during the season.

After the season is over no one cares.

I live a five minute walk from the water.

The public beach I usually hunt is less than a mile away as the crow flies.

I found one tiny silver charm yesterday evening and maybe a dollar in clad coins (coffee money).

This beach is heavily hunted and because it is fairly small as beaches go that puts pressure on me to really stay focused and I am under time constraints too which further aggravates things.

I am working, but work and I are slower these days!

CJ

The area is large enough for ten police cruisers and emergency equipment as well.

My vehicle is in no way interfering with any access to the beach and the spot I am occupying has been the only parking available for a house that is all but abandoned.

In the hours I frequent the beach there are few if any people about and I usually don;t even see a cruiser while I'm there.

I never intended to portray myself as someone willing to break the law, nor do I suggest anyone else do it.

The parking place I have a pass for is not open in the early morning either.

I'm sorry I didn't make the circumstances more clear and caused you to think poorly of my actions.

I must admit that I have taken some pleasure in being known to the local constables and their allowing me to park there.

Looks like I need to re-think the situation!

Thanks for all of your replies folks.

I see how I have placed the officers in a legal dilemma if they really were to have concern about my transgressions (law breaking!).

So far the service I have rendered has far outweighed any such concern with the exception of this one officer and that reflects well on him!

He is showing that he values the law and I must not do anything that will tarnish that!

I'll follow your suggestion and talk to the leaders of our town and see if they will at least recognise my small contribution and perhaps allow me easy access to continue making this contribution to public welfare.

As for causing our hobby to be seen in a bad light that is something I would never intentionally do!!

Over the years I have done more than most in our hobby to have it viewed in a favorable light!

Thanks for allowing me to share with you my experiences and as always, your quick and straightforward replies!

Regards and Best Wishes to You All,

CJ

and do what you think is the right things to do in life. I enjoyed the story, thought that you handled the situation very good...I do wish that you had found more treasure items. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I've always gone my own way in life and have learned to use good judgement most of the time.

This post raised some questions within me about deciding to post it!

I was attempting to emphasize our public service and how I had gained some local albeit unofficial recognition for my efforts.

Breaking the law was far from my mind and seemingly from the minds of the officers I have spoken to about what I do.

I was enjoying the appreciation I was shown by being allowed to park in a coveted spot that enabled me to spend more time on the beach and less time walking the hundred yards or so back and forth to and from alternate parking.

The time I have is limited and I try very hard to make the first foot prints on the sand at the waters edge in the morning and sometimes I manage to be there for a short while in the evening as well.

I have been able to remove harmful and sometimes dangerous objects from the sand where people walk and play before anyone had a chance to be at risk!!

A few of these are listed in my post, but appear to have no significance in view of my breaking the law!

I find I have mixed emotions about the whole thing now as you can tell by my replies above!

My next hobby might just be knitting!!

CJ (Knit one pearl two!)

There are more important things in life than where you parked your car and whether or not you broke the law by parking in that spot. Those of us who have gotten to know you through your stories on this Forum know that you are a good person with a big heart...you are among friends on this Forum. I found out a long time ago not to major in minors. How about forgetting about unpleasant things and write us a good story...maybe a man eating bear story, or even a ghost story is always popular on this Forum. Surely you folks have a few ghost living up there in Yankee land, right? I have always enjoyed reading your stories. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

The older ones seem easier to talk to, the younger ones are, seemed to have the chip. For the most part, I find yes sir, no sir, whatever the law reads sir and move on. I've tried the other way, but it got to expensive. I personally think the guy is being a jerk about it if your only there in early am for short time. Then again, someone might of said, well you let this car park here, why not me.

The good part is you can detect it still and whats a 5 minute walk from your place. I've found to many that have just closed it down to detecting. Not for holes as near as I can tell, just that you might be getting something they are not. Like you, at the end of the season, no one cares.

Geo