Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:usaflag: Help!! Need a Detector That Ignores Nails!!

Cupajo

When I started the hobby of metal detecting, I bought what at that time was one of the finest detectors available the Whites 6000DI. I found my first gold ring using it and after many hours of searching had lots of silver, but no more gold.

I learned about water hunting and built a waterproof Plexiglas case so that I could use the detector as a water machine. That

It will null out on iron.... Even used they are on the pricey but for water hunting in trash they sure do the job for me. As with any detector its how well you learn what its telling you, that gives the user the edge.... I use mine with and 8 inch Seasearch coil or horseshoe coil...
No complaints. The rest is how you set it up....It has lots of options.... If rings and coins are your interest it will serve you well. If really small targets, like fine ankle chains, or small crosses, its not the ticket. Small kids rings on up, fine....... I had a lot of PI units I really liked, but like your finding, many of our beaches are loaded with junk, and PI's see it all pretty much. Need a backhoe on a barge around here..... I have a Minelab Sorveign also that hunts the same way but its not water proof at the box. You can make it so but its not how it comes. They claim, its the same as the Excalibur in street clothes, but I do personally find that the case....at least to my ears.....

I use the Sovergin Minelab in wet sand with a wot coil and cover a lot of ground and hunt deep after everyone has hit it. Only problem there is the targets are deep....Bad backs can't take much of that.... When I take my grandson with me, he digs...Long as I can see the top of his head, its not to deep....LOL....... Just kidding.... I sold all my Fishers once i tried the Minelabs out.... Mine are all the older units. I have not tired the new ones out.....

Thats my 2 cents worth.....

George-CT

Hey George,

Thanks for your opinion.

The ML machines are in the lead in every way, but price!

I only want to do this once and gotta get it right!

Thanks again Friend,

CJ

every used machine on the market at one time buying used that caught my interest. I kept the ones that worked for me and sold the rest. Once you decided or narrow them down, your welcome to try any that I have. I also see a lot of people with the Head Hunters with the set up in the Headphones and they seem to like those. How they are on iron I don't know as I have not hunted with withs gear in a long time. At one time it was all I owned. I don't depend on the screen feed back that much. With iron nulled out, if I hear it, I dig it... Found my eyes to be the best discriminators. Found to small caches that I would have left in the ground if I had gone by the screen suggestions.. I know Garrett came out with some new gear, but again, I've never used it..... I was hunting mostly Isle of Palms, Mrytle Beach, Folly Beach, Edisto beachs in SC. The limiting factor for me became the weight and how much beach to cover. Lots of acreage on their beachs, low and flat, so low tide is mind boggling. Like huntng Watch hill in length only 400 yards of beach in front of you out to the water....

George-CT

the Excalibur and an Explorer XS. Don't forget the Stainless Scoop, saves from bending over, and over. Worth the $$.

Got a couple of stainless scoops--the best way to go!

Looking to hunt dry sand at the beach and old yards in New England.

Scoops no help!

Thanks for your reply Friend,

CJ

Thanks for the offer George.

I have this thing about borrowing things. (I don't if I don't have to!)

I have very little problem loaning things to the right people though.

I do look forward to hunting with you one of these fine days.

Best to Ya Friend,

CJ

a little on the heavy side unless you take it apart and mount some of it on your waste....I don't do that in the salt as I hunt a lot of surf lines and I prefer the added weight...even my coil is weighted... Dry sand...If your still dealing with nails, the XS Explorer is a great unit as is the Sovergin...and they knock out the junk very well also... On some dry beaches my Tiger Shark will hunt, but down at the shoreline, its a crap shoot with that one...Just not a good salt water unit at the beachs I hunt...Fresh water, awesome...

I see guys do well with those XLT Whites also in the dry sand....

Let us know what you finally settle on.... Some good deals on the detector sites from time to time....

Geo

Checking all the forums and accumulating info.

So far the ML machines are rating an A plus, but can't afford one and they are a bit heavy.

I may end up with a simple little Ace 250 as it's a bit lighter and it seems to offer a lot of bang for the buck.

Thanks for your in-put Friend,

CJ

not really good if you do not want to dig nails,trust me they dig up nails ! I'm not knocking it,but would consider it only a backup machine.The ML sov is great for eliminating trash.It is mainly good for copper/silver...forget clad it does not like clad.Most people get used to the weight.

The plus side it has a very distint sound for copper and silver.Also with the Ace 250 I find the constant ringing a bit annoying,have I confused you more sorry :) Orlando

Hi Orlando,

Your reply and viewpoint are appreciated Friend.

There are as many oppinions as people out there and I knew that when I submitted the posts.

The ML machines have a large following and surprisingly, the Ace which costs much less has a large following as well.

I'm going to give the Ace a try I think, just to get a feel for the machine.

Best to Ya and thanks again,

CJ

PS I like your new avatar better!

n/t

Hey Bayrat,

Thanks for the info.

I havn't tried any of the ML machines as yet.

I know of many people that swear by them and a few that swear at them.

More than a little pricey though.

CJ

I got a strait shaft for it and it is nothing to operate now, very well balanced plus it will null out nail;s and steel if you want it to. It picks up stuff deeper than I want to dig. I know I am getting lazy in my old age, but I am only going to chase some things so deep while in the surf. I think I am going to make a floating shifter and seen if that makes it easier. Good Luck on what ever you get. Bill

Hey Bill,

I ended up buying an apparantly lightly used Excalibur!

Thought it was time I found out how they work.

It is an older model I think as it does'nt have a numerical coil size designation like the new ones and only has Excalibur on the side.

It has a horseshoe shaped coil of 73/4 inches diameter.

Don't know if I got a deal or not, but at least I can now try one out!

CJ

I think it's easier to pinpoint and in trashier places it's way better. Good Luck and let's us know how you like it.
Bill