Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:usaflag: Another Day, Another Walk On The Beach!! :smile:

Cupajo

I enjoy these daily beach combing forays so much that once in a while I have to share!!

At just after sun-rise this AM the wind was brisk and 28F on the open sand!

I climbed into my rain suit for wind protection and hoping the fleece jacket would be warm enough I headed the 1/4 mile eastward to check for the usual stuff and found less than yesterday, so I guess my efforts are helping.

Of course the next big blow will deposit more, but I'll be ready!

By 8:30 I had worked my way back to the west end of the beach where this lobster pot got tossed by the last blow.

I wanted to show you how far the waves tossed the heavy metal pot up the beach and also the claw sticking up from the sand inside where no doubt there is a sizable lobster buried!

A lone seagull screamed from its perch on a wooden sluice-way nearby as if to question the sanity of anyone out in this cold.

I have often walked by them at only a few feet distance and I thought I would snap a shot of it with my new camera.

The second I took out the camera it took off with a squawk and landed down the beach a ways.

I still got my picture, but not from the original 10'.

[attachment 147770 PicsfromFuji33WP045.jpg]

The pot is so buried that I can't budge it and I would really like to see how big the lobster is.

[attachment 147771 PicsfromFuji33WP037.jpg]

Maybe another day with a long lever!?

[attachment 147772 PicsfromFuji33WP040.jpg]

The claw would surely be part of a sizable bug!

A shot of a typical "wad" of fishing line from a few feet away from the pot tangled in seaweed!

[attachment 147773 PicsfromFuji33WP044.jpg]

The clump is as big as my open hand! (no hooks this time!)

Thanks for coming along Friends, time to go somewhere warm,

CJ

PS Sorry folks, I just noticed that I can't make out the claw in the picture!

You sure have a great walking and enjoyment area Cupa....

Very pretty !!:thumbup:

fair winds

Micheal

n/t

It usually has initials on it and school so with a little effort one could get it back to the owner. Here the buoys have your license numbers on them also. If a DEP cop catches you pulling a pot, and your name tag isn't on it and your buoy, they can and do pinch you. I know when they are lobstering close to shore, if they suspect your pulling their pots they will set it close enough to shore to put a hole at the water line with a rifle, or some I'm told. I've seen worst happen. A lot of city slickers think those pots with the rope on them are there for their enjoyment. Your taking food off a mans table. Not smart. I always returned the newer metal ones. When we were doing we spent much of our time building new pots and funnels our of oak as they didn't last long in the water. The real old ones we would burn if they washed up on shore or we caught them i or drag nets. They really burn beautiful with the salts in them. Great colors off the flames and we would save them for night fires on the island where we stayed all summer. Magical much like the northern lights I would think, only smaller....

If the name tag is gone and no way to ID it, I'd say the finder could keep it. Often with the old wooden ones, if still in decent shape. They would let them dry, put a new funnel net in them have a piece of glass cut with rounded edges to go over the top of it and sell them as coffee tables t tourist. We sold many of them that way at $100 a shot. Sometimes made more off the coffee tables than lobstering...

George

when lobstering. Lines get caught in props and all kinds of stuff. The submarines here used to run thru ours quite often. ON those 10 pot trawels, thats a lot of gear/$$$$ to lose.. But it happens expecially on blind sets when the bouys are under water except for slack tide.

This read will show you some of the fun and problems... Easy read......

Lobster pots

pertaining to the ocean. I would have no desire to try to take something that I was not entitled to take, have never done so in my entire life. It was not my intent for asking that question about the Lobster trap. I am outa here! Kelley (Texas)

the question and I answered it from a lobster guys point of view. No intent to put question your honesty or Cupajo's. I know you and Cupajo's honesty goes with out question. I grew up in that world, know it very well... We always returned them even when we found them tangled in our pots. It was just a unwritten rule. I guess compare it to finding a horse out in the wild or cow with a brand on it. You would just return it or let them know where it was just because its the right thing to do.....

Again, somehow, we read each other wrong on things. Don't intend to, just comes out that way. No insult intended.......

George-CT

I remember you questioning me in the past on the Views Forum, and accusing me of trolling on this Forum. I just no longer feel comfortable posting on a Forum where I have to use caution in how I word things so that folks do not get a wrong opinion from what was actually intended. George, you are a good man and this is a great Forum, but I am just not comfortable posting here anymore. Kelley (Texas)

There may be a tag somewhere on the pot, perhaps on the part that is buried?

I'll try to find the owner if I can!

There was a bouy, but someone came along and cut it off!

Our world seems full of clueless clowns that do these sorts of things!!!

The rest of us have to live with it, but we don't have to like it!!

George and Fred, it saddens me to witness two oldtimers on the forum "at odds"!!

Life's too short and both of you are far too valuable to the rest of us to lose!

Please find a way to work things out Friends,

CJ

fishing just outside Comox harbour a couple years back and there was a large group of private non commercial Crab trap floats covering an area of perhaps 200 yards long and wide just off a point. I steered well clear but my brother in law (his new boat) wanted to get in closer to the shallower water he said. I nixed the idea, saying.......you can't trust some of these guys to set properly and some use too small a float and not enough weight so the traps float off with the tide and often the rope and float hangs just below the surface over the edge of the drop off to deeper water. These are the same clowns that claim someone stole their traps:rolleyes:

1/2 hour later as we made the next pass he was steering and getting, i thought, uncomfortable close to the crab floats when a thump of the port downrigger and a screeching reel meant "fish on!" He grabbed the rod and i began to steer, moving away from the Crab floats. he yelled that the fish was taking a lot of line and was a big one so i should follow it! I said hang on you have lots of line and we need to get clear of this area. He started to argue and squall and at the same moment saw that his fish was headed straight for the nearest Crab float and a few seconds later had wrapped his 20 lb test line around a 300 lb test rope:biggrin:
A nice big Salmon of 25 lbs or so was instantly gone and so was 30 dollars worth of gear!

As we began to set up rods again he looked down and said, whats that? I looked over the side to see a very small float some 2 ft below the surface and said, that would have been in the prop and a hell of a mess if we had not seen it!
No more problem educating him to that aspect of Salmon fishing near shore:lol:

Newcomers to traps see how basic and simple a device they are and without a clue as to all the "other stuff" involved buy some, bait em up and toss them overboard!!

Most check on the laws involved and they may even buy a license, but that's where they start to lose it.

Pots, as I understand it, are supposed to be checked regularly (hopefully by the owner!!) and baited and re-set as needed!

There are stories about pots that have been out there so long that the rope to the buoy parts with age and the pot is left until Ma Nature rots it away!

I wonder how many lobster and fish have been lost that way!

I don't like lobster and never needed pots so I am only a casual observer of the actions of my fellow man and living so close to the water I hear the stories!!

Years ago a couple of old friends were out for their daily pot run for fresh lobsters and re-baiting using a small boat.

They both disappeared and one washed ashore a few days later.

I don't know if the other was ever found.

It was thought that when the pot was set somehow one of the old-timers got tangled in the rope and went overboard.

His old buddy is thought to have drowned trying to save him!

We'll never know, but they are missed in the community!

CJ

n/t

now every trap must have owners name and license number on the float, not the trap though.

post as much as any one else's. I'd say east coast meanings of different things are a little different then mid west but so what. Once one explains it, ok, put that in my memory book. Trolling here used the way I did means your trying to get some one to respond to what you said. Nothing to do with anything else except fishing, which is my preferred way to fish salt water as I hate to sit still in a boat.

The lobster pot, again, if he can dig it out, I'd bet money, if he saw the name tag, he would call them. Anyone who cleans up a beach around here is a pretty straight shooter. Just from your post I figured your as straight shooter as anyone and your word is solid.
Thats as good as it gets. Most of us just babble away to make conversation and I for one seldom check over what I've just typed until 2 days later and then edit it if I catch it then. This is just enjoyment for me, passing time. If it were to argue with someone or break stones, I would move on. I had a life full of that in the Ironworkers. Professional stone breakers, just to pass time doing a hard job but it still needed doing.

On a side note, Most of the lobster men hated wire pots at first because if you loose them, they keep fishing. Meaning they still catch lobsters but no one can get at them except divers who can have 10 legal pots here. Wood pots would rot out after awhile and the lobster would be free again.

OK, time for din din..............

Later George-CT

No real problems with Fred and I, just misunderstanding of what the word met here as to there or vice versa. Trust me, If I have something to say, there will be no way of not knowing the intended target. I have a bad habit of taking no prisoners. I don't like me when I get that way so I avoid it. No problem between Fred and I. We just need to get the same Webster.

Geo-CT

I took a look at the trap this PM and I couldn't find a tag on the exposed part of it.

Maybe when the ground thaws I can dig it out for a better look.

I want to have a look at the "bug" too!

I couldn't budge it, and I did try, as it is really frozen in there.

It is 14F as I write this with a fair breeze out of the north dropping the chill factor near 0F!!

BRRR!!

Time for bed,

CJ