Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

US Breastplate from 1863 CSA Cavalry Camp

VOL1266X

Last February, I was hunting a CSA Cavalry Camp where Col. R.D. Allison's Cavalry Squadron camped from March-June 1863. We found several bullets from the camp proper but it had been searched by others previously. In trying to find the camp pickets, I recovered a US Breastplate on a hill above the camp. My relic hunting buddy found a perfect Eagle "I' officer's button with full gold gilt and a 1853 half dime. I had already found a shield eagle from the camp area. We found Enfields on that hill indicating that the CS Soldiers were there.The US items were probably from captured stores, prisoners, or the buttons could have been worn by CSA Soldiers who fought in the Mexican War. Anyone else have a theory as to why the US items were found in a CSA Camp??? Regards and happy hunting from Tennessee!!!

Vol,

Those are great finds. I've never had a CSA camp where I didn't find alot of US stuff. In TN, it was not uncommon for both sides to use a camp as the "front" moved back and forth. After all, what made it a good camp for one side, also made it a good camp for the other. The CSA was so ill equiped that they had to provision themselves from whereever they could which was usually the enemy.

Again, great finds!

Balenim

Great finds. Very nice breast plate. I have never hunted a Confederate area that I didn't dig Yankee relics, especially bullets. Don't give up on this area. HH.

yeah, same here 1266x. of the two camps iv'e hunted, i always found a mix of relics. it doesn't make sense, until you consider that like some of the other fellas were saying, the southern soldier was ill-equipped and made do with a lot less than the yanks did. any army that lived on green corn and blackberries, marched 30 miles in a day, fought and won a pitched battle, and did the same thing the next day, is just incredible. that in itself says a lot. great job on the hunts, i really like the posts. hh,

You are right GG-They did a lot with a little. Many a time I will be hunting in January with it spitting snow and temps in the 20s and think about those ole boys who had picket duty day and night in weather like that-North and South. Four years in that war had to shorten your life even if you were healthy by the end of the war. Thanks for looking.