Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Up coming vacation

DJR

I posted this about a month ago and did not get a response from anyone. I know someone out there should have some experience with the soils in east Tennessee or maybe NC that could tell me how the ACE or any Garrett unit may respond to the soils up there. I plan on being in and around the Knoxville area and will be detecting our family farm in Maryville and have no knowledge of the soil characteristics in the area. I am from Fl and all I know is SAND!!!!!!!! So if anyone is from that area or has detected in that area what might be expected from the soil make up. I know it is good old red clay soil that tells me it may be somewhat mineralized with iron? I asked a buddy of mine up that way but he uses a different detector and I don't think he has used it there as of yet. So if anyone has info to share I sure would like some input before I head that way. I will be there for the Thanksgiving weekend. So I want to plan ahead and get the units ready as time will be short.

Help Please!

Thanks in advance

Don

The soil up that way is generally mild. Sometimes it can be mineralised slightly, but I also know Garrett set up the Ace 250 to be adequate most everywhere.

But, you really don't have to worry and heres why: You only have the one detector.
It wont matter what soils are there, as you will have to make the best of them.

Not to make light of it, but I doubt you will have much of a problem.

The 250 is set up to perform reasonably well all over. Unless the area you speak of is highly mineralized you'll have no problems. Here in Oregon we are blessed with volcanic soil and it doesn't get much nastier and the 250 works well here.

Bill

Hey Don, I know this area WELL as I'm from Georgia and the whole state is covered in that red/orange clay. I used my GTI 2500 and a friends Ace in that area. I have used the GTI 2500 there since 1999 when I got it.
So heres what you need to watch out for...the Ace will do ok there but dont have the sensitivity too high. As Uncle Willy says alot..about 3-4 bars down from max. I hit many "pockets of high mineralized clay" where there was nothing there at ALL. Even with my 2500 in Disc mode and All Metal. I would dig a hole and pull some clay out and the signal would get less...dig more out and totally disappear. The ole "iron orange clay pocket".

I hit some RED clay pockets up in N. Ga. mountains at an old gold mine that stuff was so hot and bright red clay that even my GTI 2500 with the 10x14 DD was having trouble with it. I noticed on the ground balance that it kept changing real fast from like 9 to 12 every couple feet. Would like to have hit that mine with my Infinium but never got a chance to.

But the ACE 250 will do you fine just watch those ghost signals in that stuff...i get a few of those here in parks in Oregon with my Ace 250. Just keep looking for "repeatable" signals. Good luck.

Alan

Thanks guys

I am expecting to get a few anomaly hits as I know we have some iron ocks mixed in occasionally. I just needed to know how the soil reads

Thanks all you have eased my mind!

Don