Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Unusual detecting surfaces!

MDMac

I was just wondering if anyone has detected some unusual surfaces?

Our local High School, which was just built in 1998, used a lot of 'rock' in the landscaping. When I say 'rock', I mean stones that range as small as a cantelope to as large as a watermelon. Just trying to walk on it to detect is going to be a challenge, can you imagine the twisting my ankles are going to take? How well would a detector work on this kind of surface? I am sure the High Schoolers have lost coins, jewelry, pens, pencils, keys, etc... in here and I was just wondering before I tackle it if I am wasting my time.

Another unusual surface is the Elementary School playground in a nearby town. Most Elementary schools in this area us wood chips which are great for detecting, but this one Elementary School uses 1/4" to 1/2" gravel. When you throw a handful of coins onto it, it's like throwing them onto a concrete slab. Would it be worth my time to detect it? Even when you step on a coin that is laying there, it doesn't go into the gravel. There might be a few coins that get gravel kicked over them, but my feeling is that if coins were dropped, other kids found them immediately.

Happy Hunting!!
MDMac

I'm not sure I would waste my time on a 1998 site under those circumstances. Now the gravel, I would and have detected such spots many times. HH jim tn

Yes the gravel will be hiding coins for sure. They might get dropped on it but with a lot of children unning around and playing, they probably wouldn't notice it and it will get ground into the gravel in a heartbeat. Good luck!!

Hi MDMac,

You said:

Our local High School, which was just built in 1998, used a lot of 'rock' in the
landscaping. When I say 'rock', I mean stones that range as small as a cantelope
to as large as a watermelon.

I doubt that you can get through that kind of surface.
If you could go deep enough, then you'd have to start moving rocks.
Lifting rocks as big as watermelons is not my bag. Sorry.

Then you said:

Another unusual surface is the Elementary School playground in a nearby town.
Most Elementary schools in this area us wood chips which are great for detecting,
but this one Elementary School uses 1/4" to 1/2" gravel. When you throw a handful
of coins onto it, it's like throwing them onto a concrete slab. Would it be worth my
time to detect it? Even when you step on a coin that is laying there, it doesn't go i
nto the gravel. There might be a few coins that get gravel kicked over them, but my
feeling is that if coins were dropped, other kids found them immediately.

If it is like concrete, it's not good for detecting or for kids to play on.

If it is like gravel. Well, I've done well in gravel tot lots. This one comes to mind.

The hart has a tiny ruby and diamond. Both the hart pendant and bracelet are
14k gold. Part of a silver bracelet and 129 coins. Took only 40 minutes to hunt.

peny1.jpg

peny2.jpg

I think that was worth the effort..........:)

HH,

KOOL!..my! my!.. that's a BIG one!

(h.h!)
j.t.