Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Underwater river detecting.

UKCraig

Hi,
I am trying to find out about underwater detecting in rivers.
I am looking at a stretch of river which has a Cathedral built on the banks which is nearly a thousand years old.
Just really after general info on how to go about it, what tools I will need and what is it like diving in muddy waters??

Thanks
Craig.

Hi Craig, I dive the rivers of SC for relics and fossils regularly. It's very challenging and can be hazardous. generally speaking tides and currents are a big factor. Also a GOOD light is very necessary. I use a Diverite HID light which I recently upgraded to the NiMH battery pack. This gives me an average 4 hour burn time compared to the 1-2 hour burn time on the 12v battery it originally came with. I use the Detectorpro diver detector.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that I am a little worried about the current as there is a flood barrier which acts like a waterfall about half a mile down river. There is a lot of tree trunks in the river as well. So Hazards are a concern but I think that it will be worthwhile.
I am looking at using an Excalibur as I know the minelab range. The amount of junk is also a concern as the river is in the center of the city.
I am still looking into how viable this is and what equipment I will need. I had thought about a light but never gave any thought to battery life. It has been a long time since I done any diving and don't own any gear now. When you add the price of an Excalibur on top of this I really need to know it is gonna work before I invest that sort of money.

Craig.

Like I said before river diving is challenging (but VERY rewarding), especially at first, but after awhile you'll get used to what to expect. I like to dive the summer when the rains and currents are at a minimum. The rivers are low and slow in the dry season so this is the best time to dive. I know the Thames on your side of the pond, runs pretty fast (around 6 knots average) I think. Sounds slow, but 6 knots will rip your mask right off your face! When you get ready to start give me a shout and I'll give you some tips. Good hunting.....Paul

I dive the rivers here in Texas...and trust me...they are NOT known for their clarity!!! :lol
Here are couple tricks that I use.

I removed my octopus and plugged that hole. Then I removed my BC inflator and replaced it with an Air-2 reg. This regulator acts as both an octopus AND a BC inflator. The main benefit from doing this is that it removes a VERY long hose that hangs up on everything.

Another thing that helps me is I switched to larger/longer fins. The rivers I dive are not gauged, as far as I know, on current but on Feet Per Second, and typically they range from 500-1000 FPS...and dude..if you look directly up current...it will freeflow your reg. Hope this helps...and like Paul...if I can help out...just drop me an e-mail. Good luck and have fun. Kieth-Tx

Thanks Paul I will give you a shout when I am ready. The river I am looking at is not tidal and the current should be less than a knot. I know a few people that do the thames but that is the mud flats at low tide. A lot of niuce finds are made there.
It has just been on the news that some divers have found a woolen Roman sock on a river about 10 miles away from me!!! I find it hard to believe that something like that could survive 1700 years!!

Thanks Keith I am going to start buying gear this week so will bare that in mind. as I said the river has a lot of trees in it so snags are a concern.
Here is a pic of the main area I have in mind.
Craig

Have you thought about a CZ-20 or a Tiger Shark? Both will take abuse better than the Excaliber and have batter warranties. That is a nice pic Craig....wish I could do a dive with ya....if your ever in Texas...bring your wetsuit. Kieth-Tx