Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Two things I've noticed about the CZ3D (longish)

allhuntedout

First, that high coin hits seem to hit hard and loud. Almost like I have volume boost on, but I don't (don't like it). Part of this may be my new headphones too (more on those later), but I had the detector volume turned down to 2-3 (usually I'm right at 4) and could still hear everything.

And second, at the park I was hunting last night, zincs were hitting as high coin (not zinc) which was really annoying. I suppose I could have hit the switch to see if they dropped down in salt mode, but I didn't think of it at the time... would've saved me some work.

Lastly, it was hot-hot-hot on iron here, bonk, bonk, bonk, bonk! In this pounded park, that's pretty much all that's left! I'm thinking if I go back, I need to try my small coil, and see if I can find some stuff in between the junk.

I went specifically with the mindset to find old coins here, and did come out with a 1908-O Barber dime and a 1920 wheatie, but CZ3D in enhanced mode at a site that's seen considerable modern usage can really be murderous.

Seems to me the CZ3D is definitely a specialty detector to be used best when hunting older sites that have not seen modern usage. For sites that have modern stuff, I really think the regular CZs, especially the 70Pro have an advantage.

I was also using my new Ratphones, and I gotta say they make my Jolly Rogers sound like crap. The Ratphones are great. I'm going to order another pair, so I don't have to keep switching them from one machine to another, and so I have a backup, 'cause I can't imagine being without them now.

Actually may indeed be your headphones as coins all sounded different not louder myself.
Yep works well with a new Fisher concept Old(enhanced) mode and regular mode...If your in a real old place that hasn't been used for years meter facets have been changed (sort of dig more to get more old coins) and works well in this enviroment. Problem is many old places are still being used and defeats the purpose..Personally am a silver coin hunter and coins all does include more in coins all and gives me no advantage as I already have a box full of wheaties that came in coins all as it is..I see where Fisher is coming from and if you hunt areas used 100 years ago and haven't been used since and also hunt newer parks 2 mode concept works well..
Personally would like to see CZ meters to include more facets and yep a 1-100 meter would probably make it the best unit around for depth and simplicity..Certainly not for everyone and guess thats why they have the CZ70 pro to give you two choices...

when you say you hunted "last night", what time frame are you referring to?

and the reason I asked initially is because I've observed MANY times that iron targets's high responses are accented during the heat of the day in summer. Personally, because I can hear when the change occurs, I usually stop hunting in the mid-morning when hunting in lots of iron. It just means more masking and having to analyze more high iron responses. I figure if anything good is left, from previous hunters, it was probably due to iron masking anyhow so why fight it when it's at it's worst for a given ground moisture level. This phenomenon doesn't seem to diminish until later in the evening. I'd suspect this was probably what you were experiencing as per your post. If possible, try and go back to the area early in the morning (daybreak until 9 or so) and see if it's not better. Good luck!

I've seen this hold true when using a bunch of different brands/models of detectors, so it's not unique to the 3-D.

I was actually thinking I was lucky that it was so dry, and my goal being silver. I have not noticed the iron vs. time of day phenomenon. For the most part, I was running sens. a little high, so I expected chatter and iron bonks. Why do you think it is that this iron phenomenon happens? Temperature related? Wonder what happens to the ground when it gets hot, or is it the detector electronics that get hot? Hmm... definitely something to think about. I have noticed that I seem to get better responses overall with CZs on grey overcast days when it threatens rain, but nothing scientific in that other than my personal observation.

As I'm sure you know, when hunting in dry conditions, it's very possible to hear targets near iron that you can't hear when the ground is saturated due to the "shrinking" of the iron's halo and resulting masking. However, what I'm referring to seems to be something completely different as it's seemingly summer heat related. I wish I knew exactly what it was that caused this, but I don't. I've got no clue other than what I've gotten from coorelating observations with certain conditions. I've also noticed that sensitivity reduction has little if any effect on elimination of the above normal high iron responses in the heat of the day during summer. I'm pretty sure it isn't detector temperature related due to some testing I've already done. If anyone has the scientific explanation of all this, I'd love to hear it! Tom D maybe? :)