Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Two Questions On The Explorer XS

Ricardo_NY1

Hello Everyone,
New here, posted my introduction in the Explorer Forum. I have two questions that I hope you guys could shed some light on......

Question #1 Could someone explain or point me to literature that can help me understand "Threshold"? I have an almost non existant understanding of how exactly this works. Anything to help me undestand how threshold plays a role in the hunt will be appreciated a million.,

Question #2 I've been hunting using the graph and the cross-hairs. Many times when I press the "Detect Button" to reference the numbers on the other screen, they don't appear. I notice that the only way to get them to appear is to move the coil towards another area so it can pick up a different target, and then bring the coil back. What causes this? It doesn't affect me much, as I hunt by sound and the cross-hairs, I just want to know that my unit is working ok.

Question #1. Threshold is a holdover from older detector designs but it is still useful for various reasons. For instance, if you are in an area that has very few signals or targets to be had, the threshold will allow you to know the presence of metal is there when the coil passes over it when using disc. Some claim that the Explorer will get a little extra depth, I have yet to see this in my hunting but I use audible threshold and just a notch below threshold in different situations. A lot of areas I hunt, I don't use threshold as there is almost always something under the coil so I just elect not to have it audible. Hope this helps.
Question #2, I don't know as I don't use the digital screen very much, maybe someone out there can help with this one. I think though the digital screen is just slower to update than the smartfind but this is just my guess.