Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Two Dogs

Royal

I might not have been right in doing this but that is not what the story is about. This is something I did at work that I

did because I thought it was funny as heck and the guy deserved it, at least I felt he did.

We had this young forman. He was new and a pretty good guy. He was half Athabaska Indian and half black, the get of a sailor

and his lady somewhere in Alaska. We called him Two Dogs and if you know the joke it makes sense. He was a tall skinny

sucker and actually pretty smart, he had gone to Anapolos.

At Christmas it was our habit to get together and buy the boss a present, that is if he was a decient boss, which Two Dogs

was. The forman would usually buy something, with company funds, out of the Granger catilouge for each of us.Something small

like maybe a tape measure or a pair of pliers or something like that, It was not a rule just what was common. Some bosses

never recieved a dang thing.

Well I took up a collection from everybody, maybe two hundred and fifty bucks, I forget but there were about 25 of us. Anyway

I went to the store and bought the boy a couple big bottles of booze and a gift certifacate. I got a nice card and took it to

everyone and had them sign it.

We always had a party just before Christmas shutdown and that is when we gave the gifts. Two Dogs had never been there during

Christmas and he had no clue he was getting anything. Just never entered his head.

Not much work is done on party day. We usually would go in to work and do what we had to to keep the line running but after

lunch nothing much was done. Everyone either brought in something for a party or kicked in to a kitty for Pizza and anything

that was needed.

I finally took the gift up to Two Dogs and gave them to him. He was speechless, to say the least and opened the package. The

package with the booze. He almost crapped! He was a 24 year old newbie and there were his bosses around. I made sure they

were not looking when Two Dogs opened it but was interested in his reaction. He quickly covered them up, looked at the Super

and asked me how the hell he was gonna get them out of the plant. I laughed and told him that it was his problem, we had done

our part! :D

Well he was tickled with his gift certifacate and then I asked him, "Where's our gift?" OH poor Two Dog!! He just looked at

me and didn't know what to say. We laughed our butts off at his expence and forgot about it. Heck he didn't know.

Well we all worked through Christmas and I teased him about it. He said he never knew that gifts were exchanged and we all

knew that. I just laughed and told him not to worry about it.

A week or so after Christmas I was looking for something in a Granger Catilouge. They sell almost anything needed for a

Maitence department, including tools. I was looking through it and happened to see the Swiss Army Knives. What the heck,

thunk I :D

To buy what we need from the book we just find the part number, make out a rec and give it to the boss to sign. Then I we

just gave it to the clerk and he would order it. I looked and saw that a decient one was about 10 or 15 bucks but then I

looked at the well equipted ones. Dang! They had a bunch of them. I saw one that was 82 bucks! What the heck, we were a

good crew and deserved that! Hahahahahha

I made out the rec put in the code for the badazz knife, counted up how many guys we had, which came to 22 and filled in the

rec. I took it to Two Dogs to sign. He asked what the heck it was for and I told him that I was looking out for him and had

found some pocket knives for the guys. He just looked at me and signed.

A few weeks later the order came in, 22 knives at 82 bucks each! Mike, the crib man contacted me and told me the order had

come in and I told him to call Two Dogs and let him know. I had no idea how he would react but there was little he could do

because I told him they were pocket knives. I never told the boy that they were 82 bucks each!!

He came to the crib adn looked at the unopened box. I told him, "There they are! You have the honor of handing them out. I

even was nice enough to get one for you!?

He opened the box and just stared at them, 22 knives all packaged up nice like. He said, "Whats this?" with a funny look on

his face. I told him, "Pocket knives. Ain't they nice? Ain't YOU nice?

He looked from me to the knives and then back to me. I think the boy was lost for words, me ordering one for him and all :D

He said, "How much were they?" I told the boy that they were 82 bucks each but he got a discount because he ordered so dang

many! That did not seem to put a twinkle in his eye. Odd thunk I. Him getting one too and all.

He stammered and just walked off, probably had a tear in his and all. He finally came back and grabbed a bunch to hand out.

He asked how many I had and when I told him he said he had to order three more because he had 25 men. Nice guy, always

thinking about others.

I think this is the one we got. He is lucky that I am not there now. They are 195 dollars each now:rofl:[attachment 84280 SA53504-2T.jpg]

What a nice boss he was........looking after your needs and all..........:thumbup:

My stuff is in two houses and I don't know which it is in

We did stuff like that on the different jobs as we worked as a team most of the time. If you fired one of us, well, ya might as well get 6 checks while your at it as we come as a package. But for each other at Christmas we would always get gag gifts. One of my favorite ones, that I still have up in my drawer is a sheriffs badge with a bullet hole in it only the way the hole exits the face of the badge I was shot in the back. That had me wear it while we were on the job. We had more laughs with that thing. Still brings a smile to my face after all these years.

Geo

that I would not dare post here :D

Was the picture posted with this story the actual knife that you received? What ever became of Two Dogs? It appears that you folks enjoyed your jobs and had some fun at the same time. Sad what is happening to GM now, hope that they bounce back and soon. Thanks for posting this story, enjoyed it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

he is still with GM, at least the last I heard he was. He is an engineer so he will do ok.

I worked in those plants for 42 years and had a lot of fun over the years. Much of it was hard work and much was boring. We never believed they respected our opinions on anything.

In the trades things took a turn for the worse when they started bringing in engineers as supervisors. Supervisors like Two Dogs. They came in thinking they were smarter than the lowly working stuff and nothing could be farther from the truth.

Our forman was always picked from the ranks. It was tough to get away with things like I pulled with one of them but an engineer??? An engineer that felt himself superior???? They were easy and we learned the boys. Some times girls. One of the best forman I had in there was a female and the worse was also a female.

We as tradesmen pretty much knew how to do our jobs and had an intimate knowledge with the machines we had worked on for many years. Those over educated morons would come in and think they knew better or try to cut corners and just get in the way. They way I would handle them was to say, "Are you absolutely sure that is the way you want it done?" When they would insist I do it wrong I would do it that way. I have seen multi-thousand dollar goofups caused by them and they soon learned. I would just say, "Are you sure?" and they would say, "What do you need and do it your way," I was not always right but we saved their arses if they were a decent forman.

I've got another short story to jot down from when I was an Apprentice Carpenter thanks to your story. I have a few good and bad bosses over the years, the bad ones always had a hard time of it, the good ones we respected and would do most anything for. The worst bosses often met with mysterious accidents but a job site can be a dangerous place for the unwary and unliked. I remember one young superintendent who was a newly graduated engineer and looked down his nose at the trades who actually did the work . One day they found him unconcious by some scaffolding, it appears the wind blew a 8" cinderblock off of the scaffolding and it hit him in the hardhat knocking him out cold. The block also broke his collarbone so we didn't see him again on site, freak accident I guess?:shrug:;)

Cheers,

Eric

It is always nice when your efforts are recognized and rewarded by those higher up!! :D:

calm seas

Mikie