Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

TVA permit ban

If they are metal detecting, they better not get caught.
Thou shalt not touch thy government's water.

Its to protect the indian artifacts, doncha know. The ones who didn't have metal before the Europeans made it here.

Theres talk of privatizing TVA. If that happens, I don't see how they can enforce a metal detecting ban on the water tho I am sure they will try.

On their dry lands, yes they certainly can, but exclusive navigable water use rights cannot be claimed by private individuals or companies.

[size=x-small]now you've got me started. I HATE those arrogant basturds.[/size]

You gosh darn skippy Big Dan! :thumbup: I don't know who will enforce this if anybody..maybe the boat cops? Guntersville Lake has quite a passle of boat cops, but I doubt they would hassle with some old guy out wading, they are too busy chasing down jet skis, and generally making a nuisance of themselves. As far as relics/artifacts from the Civil War, the mussel divers scooped up some really nice finds long ago as they trudged along the bottom in all those old flooded towns and crossings. I would think the newer swimming areas would be what I would focus on for jewelry, and I just may do that someday.
Mud

I thought that had always been a NO NO . I've heard they would put you under the jail if caught metal detecting OR digging for relics of any kind.

dirtdigginlady said:
I thought that had always been a NO NO . I've heard they would put you under the jail if caught metal detecting OR digging for relics of any kind.

Until last year (I think it was), they issued permits that allowed you to metal detect a limited # of places (like near docks, swimming areas, etc).
Around here, if caught violating this, they would ticket you and seize your detector (word of mouth info there; I have no personal knowledge).

Pencilnecked bureaucrats just decided one day that they wouldnt allow anyone to play with their toys. Just like the spoiled little kid in a sandbox who doesnt want the toys but gathers them all up just to keep others from playing with them. I oppose them now at every turn, regardless of what they want to do. They have made me an enemy. [size=x-small](yeah, I know that makes me just as bad)[/size]

They cannot privatize public property. We paid for it with our tax dollars and we own it. The representatives that say to privatize should be investigated for bribery as they probably have been bought off by the very corporations that want the property.

I think the government should just get LOST...FORGOOD! ALl that stuff thats lost and in the lake is just going to rot anyway. NO ONE is ever goping to see it, so what the "H" difference does it make if some poor guy wants to metal detect and bring it to light. These government types are jyst ANAL types, if you get my drift.

The National Organization of Rivers says all land under the water of any navigable river, stream or creek is public land.This land can be used by the public as long as the activity is not destructive.I emailed this organization and they replied back and said they would give me an answer soon.

knowledge is power and the pen is mightier than the sword.

RJinTennessee said:
The National Organization of Rivers says all land under the water of any navigable river, stream or creek is public land.This land can be used by the public as long as the activity is not destructive.I emailed this organization and they replied back and said they would give me an answer soon.

Excellent idea, RJ. Looking forward to what they say.

How much you want to make a bet, that those "pencil necked bureaucrats" made this change, because scores of people were there asking for clarifications on what zones they could hunt in, verses which were off-limits, and so forth. I mean, heck, ANY time you have an entity which "allows" for detecting in a certain area, yet "disallows" detecting in another area of theirs, it only spurns a million "what if" scenarios, and questions of boundaries, definitions, and so forth.

For example: Have you ever noticed how FL gets REAMS of questions on md'ing forum posts, of confused md'rs trying to figure out which beach, in-water vs out-of-water, wet sand vs dry sand, where the dunes starts, and all such nonsense, right? Well why is (as opposed to, say how CA never gets such continual questions)? Because way-back-when a single exception or "rule" surfaced. So that get bandied about, and then suddenly everyone rushes to bureaucrats to "seek clarficiation". Thus presto, it becomes a front-&-center "pressing issue" which they are perpetually answering, "sanctioning" (with their "princely say-so"), and before long, you can only imagine when this "pressing issue" comes across the desk of the department's archie. Oh me oh my.

So as you can see, it all gets created by us making ourselves a big red "X" in need of their scrutiny, permits, say-so, and clarification.

Of course when it comes time for them to explain their new over-arching "no" (their lack of issuing any more permits), of course they will never allude to the reason being "because of all the questions and time and bologna". No. Of course not. Their "go-to" reason will be "because of cultural heritage" or whatever. Well gee, I bet my own city (or beaches in CA, etc...) COULD ALSO get such rationale for "closing down" beaches and parks here too, if only 100 people showed up grovelling for permission, seeking clarifications, etc... I mean, put yourself in their shoes: why should they be "bothered"? The easiest thing to do (when forced have this on your desk for perpetual sorting out), is just to say "no".

In fact, I bet the reason there was ever a "permit" (that started the whole thing way-back-when) to begin with, was that people went in asking "can we metal detect @ TVA lands?". Which, when you think of it, the mere fact of someone asking such a question, merely presumes it's an activity which "needs someone's permission" (lest why would you be asking, if it were innocuous and harmless?) . So I bet that's the genesis of the original "permit" there, to begin with. And then it's only a matter of time before they just do away with the nonsense, since it's just an annual thing that must "get reviewed" and always "the subject of questions of boundaries and such".

Alas, I don't know why md'rs eyes "wax romantic" at the thought of "permits". As you can see, it NEVER bodes in the md'rs favor. It's always riddled with silly rules (like "but you can't dig" or "only on sandy beaches" or "not near trees" and other such bunk). And then, like this case, just something they "revoke" later on. Thus as you can see, md'ing is MUCH better left non-addressed and silent-on-the-issue. Neither expressly allowed, nor dis-allowed.

I have 2 words....snorkel and pin-pointer! If I lived in the area they could kiss my tail. If you fully understand your rights under the Bill of Rights and Constitution you would know MOST " Laws" are illegal. Now if you want to know why this country is in the toilet, I suggest you search "The Act of 1871" on YouTube. 9 out of 10 American do not understand we the People have been duped for nearly 140 years. You are NOT taught the truth in school, nor will you hear it on the mainstream media...and if you think your elected officials actually work for you...:lmfao:

Tom, I don't know the original history of how the permits got started (they've been in place a long time), but where they are coming from is that a lot of folks like to collect arrowheads and other old (feather) indian detritus. They used to have people watch anyone walking the banks of the drawndown lakes and would go apeshirt if they saw him pick up something and put it in his pocket. That's how they caught (and prosecuted) most of them. So a lot of the arrowhead hunters figured out that they just needed to get the metal detecting permit and could legally 'hunt' metal while also gathering any indian artifacts. The permit was limited then to certain areas(x feet from a dock or swimming area, etc) but with all the cutbacks of personnel, I think TVA just said Screw It, we don't have the time and energy to fool with MD'ing and just outlawed it all because they can.

I agree with you all on our rights. I just don't have the energy or money to fight them. Saving my strength for a bigger battle to come.