Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Turtle Metal Detector- anyone got any info on this older unit?

Chuck, is this unit called the "Silver Turtle" or just Turtle. Silver Turtle was a waterproof
machine made by Tesoro (basically a waterproofed Silver Sabre). Unless you're hunting
in fresh water, I would not consider buying it. In salt water, I don't think it would compare
to the performance of an excal or CZ. If you are hunting fresh water, silver turtle would
probably be ok, but why not get a Fisher 1280-X or a Tesoro Stingray, there are more
of these units around and would be pretty easy to find. I myself have a 1280-X i am looking
to sell if you're interested.

Anyway, that's my two (zinc now steel) cents worth. Hope this helped you out.

Mark

Thanks, I already have this Turtle.
I took it to my gulf beach yesterday and it acts like a pulse induction?
It air tests poorly, but goes deeper in the wet salt sand?
It did not false at all.
It has 1 switch - on off and 1 knob- threshold volume.
Here's pictures of it-

" In1984 Tesoro diversified and increased its market share by making two different private label agreements. The first was with Montgomery Wards catalog sales department. Wards wanted a detector line that was both well known and distinctive to their store. After some negotiation, Tesoro agreed to produce the Sabre II and the Sabre Supreme. These detectors had Tesoro Technology in a different shape and color of the control housing. After the deal was set and the catalogs produced, Wards decided to get out of catalog sales. So Tesoro was featured in the very last Montgomery Wards catalog that was ever produced.

The second private label agreement was with a company called Turtle. At that time Turtle made an underwater detector. The case was great, but the electronics were not. So Tesoro and Turtle entered an agreement where Tesoro would make the electronics and Turtle would assemble the final product and cover the warranty. The model, Silver Turtle, was produced for several years and was very popular with the very early water hunters."

Took this off here

http://www.detector-metal.com/

Chuck,
Yours is a TR unit. It Has the wrong coil on it. The coil appears to be a Bounty Hunter coil. Whites made the circuit and coil for that unit. The Straight TR UNIT WAS A COIN MASTER I CIRCUIT. The original coil was a 2D type coil that was sealed in an "open" coil housing ie the housing had holes in it to let water run thru it to make it not float. they are/were very good units IF you learned how to use it. I hunted with one for years, still have it some where but after Keith at east texas got ahold of it it didn't work any more.

Buddy (TX)

Thanks Buddy. I meant to ask PI or TR [not td :)]
I don't doubt you are correct about the coil, it and the pole look like Bounty Hunter stuff.
I wonder why it actually works quite well though?
It didn't false at my saltwater beach wet sand and it hit at reasonable depths on a nickle and on 2 different small gold rings?
I would say it acts about like a Tesoro Sandshark to me.

Hi , these post were from along time ago 10 years ago anyway IF any one is listening, I will put my 2 cents worth in 10 years later. Anyway I have a chance to buy one of these detector rather cheap.My only concerns are the big bulky coil that is on it now. From what I can tell the best feature of this coil is that it will float on top of water better then all the other ones out there. So that means I would have to sent this detector in to Tesoro and have a different coil wired up to the detector. Question to me is it really worth it when I already have a compadre and a AT PRO .
So if any of you want to share your 2 cents worth on this posts please do.

thanks hybridcruiser

You MIGHT want to call Tesoro and see if they are even willing to touch this subject or detector. They might not have any way to build a coil for that machine anymore.

There was also a detector made in the late 1970s, called a "Turtle". It had some early form of TID. It was very short-lived, but I remember seeing an ad. for it in the treasure mag's of the era. Was no relation to the Turtle being discussed in this thread though :)