Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tumbling medium-What do you use

relic-hunter

On my way back from the beach yesterday I made it a point to stop at Harbor Freight and pick up a 3 pound single barrel tumbler. I tried it last night on some pennies I recovered. I loaded it up with about 100 pennies or so, some VERY encrusted, some not so bad but still in need of cleaning. I used aquarium gravel, the small stuff. I tumbled them for about 3 hours and most came out pretty good, but the really encrusted one still looked kind of bad. I thought about using bb's. or maybe lead shots, like in a shots gun shell. Or should I just buy the stuff that they sell specifically for tumblers?

Ken

there is a plastic bead material that lapidaries use to polish stones, they are small, smaller than a pea. I use them in mine, are not hard on coins and are easily cleaned. my friend who is a jeweler uses them and ceramic products.

these guys have everything you will need.
http://www.mikro1.com/supplies/tumbling_media.asp?gclid=CJSy1om1yJYCFQYcHgodZBhKyA
Eric

I been at this detecting thing for nearly 20 years now, and I use good old aquarium gravel in my tumblers. One bag lasts a near lifetime.

NOooo Not the Beanie baby's.I hope they didn't suffer

Well Beanie baby crazy is long in the past now. Unless you want to make a few coin selling them on ebay. Cleaning you coins is probably a better use for them though. I have more pennies tumbling now in the gravel and plain water. I have some plastic beads too, so maybe I will try them when I tumble my quarters,dimes and nickles. Then I will have a comparison to go by.

Ken

If your just cleaning clad, aquarium gravel will clean all but the crustiest coins. On mine, I use about 1/3 gravel, 1/3 water and some comet or some other non sudsing stuff. Don't mix chemicals and clean the copper coins in a different batch than the others.

Kurt

The aquarium gravel works great for me. I separate the copper pennies from the clad and the pennies in with the gravel add water and some "Real Lemon Juice" a good squirt will do it and tumble for about a hour and they will come out great as the lemon juice is a mild acid. Now the clad I have to run for 3 or 4 hours and some even then will not be real clean, so with these i found I can just a little muratic acid , but be careful with this acid and tumble for a hour in the gravel and they clean up real nice and make sure you rinse well and I will even just run the clad with a little water and no gravel and add a little lemon juice to clean off the acid.