Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

True Tale of Lifeboat CG 44301 ....

Ron J

Back in the early sixties,the U.S.Coast Guard was looking for a more modern,updated vessel to replace the aging wooden 36ft lifeboats. The 36's were proven to be practical,but aging.The old timers couldn't see getting rid of them,but....progress changes things. The C.G. wanted a larger,stronger vessel for rescues,so the result was the 44ftrs were designed and built. The original Prototype 44300 was delivered to Chatham Mass. for a brief term,while they went into production. The hull numbers mean, 44 is the length, 300 was the prototype,and numbered sequential from there. So "44300". In 1963, 44301,the first production 44,was delivered to Chatham,to replace the Prototype. This vessel is designed so that if it rolled over in the surf,she would up right herself. After many yrs of service,and rescues,in 1971,the 44301,was transferred to the Cape Cod Canal base,for a brief period. When her duty was completed there,she was shipped to C.G.Shipyard in Maryland for a complete overhaul. Once completed,she was shipped by TRUCK,across the states,to Ilwaco Washington! There she was assigned to the C.G. Motor Lifeboat School. There her duties were to provide training in the Columbia River Bar,know to mariners to be one of the worst stretches of water in the world! During the tour,the good thing is,she received topnotch maintenance,and was kept in excellent shape. In the meantime the new Aluminum 47 footers were replacing the 44's. Well that presented Chatham Station with an issue.The new 47's had too deep of a draft,to pass over the Chatham Bar safely. This was becoming a problem,the C.G. hard some issues with the inflatables,which was currently being used in Chatham, and most of the existing 44's were being sold off,mostly to foreign countries to start new careers. So the C.G. started searching there inventory for the best 44 to transfer to Chatham. The 44301 still Washington,was located,and known to be in excellent shape. SO?In early 2002,the 44301 was TRUCKED back to Chatham after all these years!! The 44301 was also one of the oldest commissioned boats in the C.G,so she has the distinction of bearing GOLD Numbers,instead of the std black. I was fortunate enough to find her sitting at the Chatham pier,along with a modern day hard inflatable,while on my trip to the Cape a few weeks ago. She must have a proud crew. Starting a fresh career over again from her original duty's in 1963! RJ [attachment 55858 lighthousesCapeCod109.jpg][attachment 55859 lighthousesCapeCod116.jpg][attachment 55860 lighthousesCapeCod115.jpg][attachment 55861 lighthousesCapeCod106.jpg][attachment 55862 lighthousesCapeCod117.jpg][attachment 55863 lighthousesCapeCod097.jpg]

[attachment 55864 lighthousesCapeCod121.jpg][attachment 55865 lighthousesCapeCod120.jpg][attachment 55866 lighthousesCapeCod114.jpg][attachment 55867 lighthousesCapeCod108.jpg][attachment 55868 lighthousesCapeCod111.jpg][attachment 55869 lighthousesCapeCod122.jpg]

I'm the proud owner of 'Captured Hearts' a 1959 Chris Craft Constellation, 42' of glorious mahoghany cruiser. I wouldn't have anything but wood as the material for my boat.
The inflateables always remind me of a dog house atop a blowup doll.:lol:
Thanks for sharing the history and pics of one sweet looking boat.

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

[attachment 55903 42_chris_craft_1959_web_profile.jpg]

I should have said that 'Captured Hearts' owns me or at least my wallet.:lmfao: She's on the hard in Michigan undergoing an overhaul at the moment but she'll be back on the water next year. Nothing rides the waves like a wooden boat.

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

a little revamp here and there to make a terrific sportfishing boat!:lol:
That is just me tho and i am a bit obsessive?;)
Thanks for the tour, The CG is a fascinating and wonderful outfit:thumbup:

n/t