Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Trotlining the Fouche La Fave (repost for all newcomers)

Arkie John

This is one of my favorite stories. I thought that if you are new to the forum (a year or less) you might enjoy the read. All others, please indulge me, since I can't seem to come up with a new one just at this time. aj

Trotlining the Fouche La Fave

Daddy never did anything half-way. One time he started raising fish. The next thing I knew, he had built a wall full of aquariums and fish were everywhere. Another time, he got into exotic birds. Before I knew it, we had Golden pheasants, Ring Necks, Chuckars, California Quail, Bob Whites

That's a story that won't soon be forgotten by me. Truly life during it's greatest moments. Many thanks for sharing this treasure.:clap: Beautiful !!!

Those were indeed the times that I will always treasure most with my Daddy. I was just waiting in line after you, then came Linda, but I myself remember floating down that lonely old river in the wee hours of the night.

He left Tommy Joe and me more than once while he was out running the lines. I can still invision all that you decribed and the smells; they are just incredible. I also remember a wooden "bait box" that Daddy had made. When we got back to the house after a LONG trip, Tommy Joe and I were looking in the box and decided to let the top down. Well Tommy Joe knew something was wrong because it wouldn't close right. Thats because my hand was in the way! My hand swelled up bigtime and I squawed all the way to the house!

Thanks for the repost.

ILY

Lil Brother:)

that had a father willing to teach you. My dad was always too busy being a fireman and had little time for us at home. Then he died at the age of 40.

He took me fishing two times and I remember them to this day.

You are very lucky that had a father that taught you how to be a father. Many of us learn the hard way.

I have done a lot of hunting and fishing, not so much in the past fifteen or twenty years but I did a lot in my youth. I had to learn it all by trial and error. Lots of live game out there that should have been dead. I sure learned how to catch fish though :D

Thanks for a fine and well written story.

Your story brings back some good memories. We did lots of fishing too when we had time, mainly fished with live bait. We would catch a mess of fish and then have a big fish fry for our kin folks and friends. Thanks for posting this story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

if it was only the few minutes it took me to read this story again. Like you and Lil Brother, I, too, got to float in that boat at one time. I remember daddy's "scent", and I remember his laugh and ear to ear grin! I was his "princess". I still am!

My love for fishing came from him, and would still rather fish than eat even today! I got a good chuckle when you said "daddy never did anything half way". H-m-m-m-m? What two knuckeheads in my life does this remind me of?????????? ILY, :)

tonight, and got your answering machine. Give me a call tomorrow, okay?

Our daddy was special. I love the memories he helped build for us to carry in our hearts and minds! I miss him as tho it were only yesterday...............ILY :)

You have a great talent in your writings. We used to go eeling on the Connecticut river where it bottoms out and gets real slow and shallow. This was before flood control dams and the Army Corps of Engineers got their paws on it. We used to hang a coleman lantern over the side of the boat. Dough balls were a good bait and we just let em drift with the current. A three foot eel was a pretty big one and made a good meal. We just skun em and rolled em in cornmeal in 4-6" pieces. Yummmm Yummmm! A few fried taters and some cold milk dipped from the cooling tank and ya had a great supper! Thanks for jogging my memory!

Dave

n/t

I have some memories of trying to land 40 lb catfish in a small aluminum boat. It was a hell of a battle for a 10 to 12 year old and we usually shipped enough water to almost sink the boat. My Dad worked long hours in the oil fields but thankfully I had some uncles, one in particular, who kind of adopted me and taught me some of the more important things in life like hunting and fishing and drinking homebrew around a campfire in the moonlight.:)

You know, I guess the untimate honor is when someone takes some of their time and reads one of your stories.

I am so glad that you enjoyed the trip down the Fouche La Fave.

I would give everything to do it just one more time with Daddy. But, for now the memories will do.

Thank you for honoring the memory of our Daddy, and thank you, Royal, for giving us a vehicle do express and to share such treasures. <><

John (Arkie John), Linda (Sunny) and Tom (Lil' Brother)