Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Triple silver in quick 1 hour hunt

Bob in SoMd

First time posting and figured it's about time. I thoroughly enjoy reading all the posts here and have learned alot.

I finally ordered a DX-1 from Larry on Wednesday since my Bullseye was on the blink and I had heard many good things from folks here about the DX.

So, after talking with Larry, I went out for a quick hunt after work at some abandoned military housing dating from the 1940's. About thirty minutes in got the quarter signal. Was thinking scrap illuminum (plenty around the old housing) or hopefully a silver Washington but was pleasantly surprised to see the eagle. When I pulled it from the hole, the date was covered by dirt and I figured it would be a 'no-date'. Flicked the dirt away and was very pleased to see the date but an 'S' mintmark was too much to ask for! No complaint here, only my 2nd SLQ and the first with a date. VDI was initially a weak 81/82 at 5" but after a few (SLOW) passes got a full bar.

Not sure what the silver shield design is...possibly a knife/fork insert?...but it's stamped Sterling on the back and has "Livorno" (city in Italy) printed above the design on the front. Rang up as a solid 74-75 at 6" and I was thinking wheatie but was really surprised to see this when I cracked open the clod. Sadly rinsing obliterated much of the design. Any clues as to what it is are apprecitated!

The dime was only about 3' from the quarter and was mutilated before I got to it (VDI 79). Also, managed four wheaties (1934, 1941, 1944, 1952) and a copper disc (VDI bouncing from 50-57) that matches a LC size but is slick. Pretty aggravating since I've never found a LC so all I can say is I have a...copper disc!!! Soaking in hydrogen peroxide now but I doubt I'll see any detail.

Overall, probably my best one hour hunt. Gotta thank Larry for the good Karma! Hope it lasts!

[attachment 145519 16Novfront.jpg][attachment 145520 16Novback.jpg][attachment 145521 Livorno.jpg]

Welcome to the forum Bob and it looks like you have a great place to hunt.........:thumbup:

Hi Bob, Welcome to the MXT Forum. We're happy to have you join us! We have a lot of wonderful people here that know the MXT and also ones that are learning their MXT. Boy did you hit the jackpot! That's a real nice looking SLQ. Congrats on all the finds. I'm anxious to find out what the little pin is. It's hard to make out what the front says. Do you have a jeweler's loupe to see if you can recognize any letters? Thanks for sharing and welcome aboard! Nancy

Thanks Nancy!

I do have a 16X loupe. The letters say "LIVORNO" - or at least they did before soap and water. It's a city in Italy so I'm guessing it's a souvenir. Below the letters appears to be a coat of arms for the city. Below link has a similar design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livorno

At least I took some pictures before I attempted cleanup...lessons learned.

Thanks quite interesting. I wonder what it was on. Very interesting. Hopefully someone on here will know what it came off of. One more question...Is there a hole in the bottom of it such as a hat or lapel pin would have? Thanks again, Nancy

Nancy,

No hole at the bottom but there are two holes up higher at about the 10 and 2 O'clock positions. Can see those better in the back pic.

Thanks Bob. It's got me baffled to what it came off of or what it is. Doesn't look as thought there's been any pin clasp on the back either. Hmmm... Nancy

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the great finds!
HH
Jon