Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tried something different

Oldguy

After a couple of hours without a decent find I decided to try something different. I dug targets based only on how they sound as they discriminate out and discriminate back in again. I ignored what the dial showed when they discriminated out and in. I read that Tesoro machines tend to disc out trash with rougher sounding edges and good items disc out more smoothly and disc back in faster giving a full "round" sound almost instantly. After a short time I got that "good target" sound, I looked at the discriminator's dial on my Tejon after I decided to dig the target, it was just above pull tab but well below screw cap. On my machine this is below where zinc pennies discriminate out. When I dug the target I got a 1952 Washington quarter that was about 3" deep, laying in it's edge at about a 45 degree angle. There was a 1962 nickel on top of and in direct contact with the quarter. Pictured below you can see the patina on the face of the quarter that the nickel left on it. I have never seen my Tejon "mask" a target like that. In all my tests it always read silver high, even on Monty's nail board it read silver coins high. I learned a different way to hunt and can't help but wonder how many people with display detectors passed over these coins.

In every case where I have EVER recover coins STACKED! they have moved up or down some from their single state,
Two quarters have always increased, but never doubled.
Penny or Dime topped quarters will dropped to about mid of the two.
I can remember ever finding a Nickel topped quarter, but I would expect that the quarter would be pulled down a fair amount.
But in any case the targets should give a nice coin sound.

Mark

Hey Oldguy,

Nice find and interesting details.

Just one question for clarification, was you actually able to completely disc that quarter/nickel out?

Ron in WV

I like that ,

Hey Oldguy,

Nice find and interesting details.

Just one question for clarification, was you actually able to completely disc that quarter/nickel out?

Ron in WV

It went completely silent on the high side of pull tab, that's why when the quarter appeared I was so surprised. Normally I can't disc out silver even at max discrimination.

Oldguy...

This is a classic example of target averaging with nickels bringing down the conductivity of the quarter. I've had this happen to me many times, I pay no attention to where a detected target disc's out,there are lots of good finds in the pulltab conductivity range. Nice find, glad you dug it up.

Thats a intersting thing you mentioned about good vs trash sounds as you disc targets in and out on the knob. I'll try that withmy Bandido next time II'm out.
Nice quarter too btw. .

Another good tip to add to my arsenal. Nice recovery!:thumbup:

tabman

Tone trumps discrimination. I have learned that also and it has paid off with coins spills and coins on edge. Nice going oldguy

Minas man

Oldguy said:
After a couple of hours without a decent find I decided to try something different. I dug targets based only on how they sound as they discriminate out and discriminate back in again. I ignored what the dial showed when they discriminated out and in. I read that Tesoro machines tend to disc out trash with rougher sounding edges and good items disc out more smoothly and disc back in faster giving a full "round" sound almost instantly. After a short time I got that "good target" sound, I looked at the discriminator's dial on my Tejon after I decided to dig the target, it was just above pull tab but well below screw cap. On my machine this is below where zinc pennies discriminate out. When I dug the target I got a 1952 Washington quarter that was about 3" deep, laying in it's edge at about a 45 degree angle. There was a 1962 nickel on top of and in direct contact with the quarter. Pictured below you can see the patina on the face of the quarter that the nickel left on it. I have never seen my Tejon "mask" a target like that. In all my tests it always read silver high, even on Monty's nail board it read silver coins high. I learned a different way to hunt and can't help but wonder how many people with display detectors passed over these coins.

Also makes you wonder how many targets youve passed over with a silent search machine(no threshold in disc)
Gotta be one of the reasons sites keep producing when you think they should be searched out.

I have found them together like that with secondary disc at the point where tabs break up-which is what I used to do before going back to beep-dig.