Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

tree roots

potosi

I have branched out from tot lots to hunting several park lawns as well. My Vaq has led me to some coins, bottle caps,foil, and lots of junk. Tell me am I crazy but tree roots can trick me into thinking they are good targets! Some times half of my good hits turn out to be tree roots. The disc setting can be at three o' clock or more sometimes. Sometimes only a small part of a root reads hot. Why ??

My only guess would be minerals? Maybe the tree roots contain a high dose of them? I notice them myself at times, Beale.

Could be metal objects under large roots. Can't get to them.

[bI've had simular targets with tree roots. I used to dig until I hit the root and give up and fill in the hole until one day I decided to dig under the root. Now keep in mind the signal was of a very low volume, but would repeat regardless of my swing over the target. Now getting the dirt out from under a 5" root is not an easy task with a small digging tool but after about 15 minutes it finally came to light, a buffalo nickel at around 8" deep :surprised:. Now that experience has caused me to analyze roots a little more closely.[/b]

I've never had a problem with tree roots responding.

I did cut through a 3" root recently to recover this.

5-16-1.jpg

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog

I have had a lot of trouble with tree roots in the past with my old whites 5000. In my earliest posts I inquired about this and it was suggested that the concentration of minerals in roots could cause a signal. It is possible that I did not dig some true targets but it seemed too much of a coincidence that every seemingly false target happened to be a root.

Yeah a few years back I recovered three Barber coins from under a big root at about 14 inches. Had to dig down alongside the root then right angle under it and then down again. But as I said in my other post tree roots suck up mineralization and will fool you.

Bill