Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Treasure diving a local beach PT1

SurfCutter

Just for a change and while I still have the memory fresh I will tell of one of my better scuba hunts . Where Richards answer to deep water, AK water hunting over ones neck / head ,,, I being young and single with money cash I could afford to spend went with scuba as the answer. After completing my basic training and purchasing of the needed equipment which was the top of the line regulator and the latest and greatest in tanks , Steel 94's . Now at the time the average tank was steel 72's , this means 72 cubic feet of air , I has steel 94's , at a working pressure of 3000 lbs and an over pressure of 300lbs for the first 3 years for an total of 3300 lbs after all said and done I could get 3-4 hours of bottom diving time at 30 feet or less. I soon had a parter and the standard drill was up at 4-5 am pack and check gear head out for breakfast then after travel time and second gear check hit the water at the chosen beach hunt until out of air. To be correct until we had only 500lbs left come out and if hunting was good enough grab our second tank and head back in . One of our favorite beaches was Brown Betty, this beach went back to the 1930's as the swim spot of the area. what was really nice about this beach was it now private property and we had permission to hunt and could drive right up to the waters edge which made loading and unloading of gear very easy . this beach had a small wade pool to the right and cement wall divided in the middle by a set of stairs. the swim area was also divided into girls side and boys side with the water at the edge about 4' deep slopping to a drop off about 20 yards of shore was a diving raft in about 25' of water . Close in shore the water was fairly clear and the bottom sandy but in the deeper water the bottom was very silty and any movement of the bottom lead to complete darkness and you could not see your hand in front of your face mask . This is the waters I learned to trust my feel and how to move without stirring the bottom up ....(to be cont.)

Even the 72s, while I did use them and never had any problems, felt uncomfortable to me. With the 50s, I felt more balanced and able to move more freely.

Thanks for the story so far...

fair winds

Mikie

Big ? me ? no , only 6' and a heavy 285 lbs today back then I was about 235 or so , but I am the shrimp of the family my cousins all go 6' 3' to 6' 11' and not one of them are what you would call a bean pole ....it's tough being the little guy ...
Bill g.

some were mostly by sound and feel. I only found one spot I could not hunt.

Uaually I keep moving ahead and hunt a pattern. By the time I was ready to turn around the silt was settled enough for me to see again. I kept swimmin into clear water that way.

There is one lake, Deer Lake in Clarkston, Mi, that was a bit different. There is a nice beach that has been used for 60 or 70 years or maybe even more. The swimming raft has always been the same place, in deep water, 35ft, just over the dropoff. The bottom is littered with years of trash and treasure. Coins all over the place.

The problem is that when you get a hit and start fanning the bottom to locate it the silt is like a super fine clay. It bellows up and you can not see anything at all. Usually that is not a problem but in this beach the dang stuff will not settle for more that an hour! I don't know what the heck it is, sorta white looking stuff but after the first dig it is a mess. I tried to hunt it a couple times and just gave up. I have probably hunted a hundred beaches and this is the only place I have had that problem.

There are over 420 natural lake in our country alone. Oakland County Michigan http://www.hometownlocator.com/DisplayCountyFeatures.cfm?FeatureType=lake&SCFIPS=26125

n/t