Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Travelling with and Storing a X-Terra

Danno

Guys,

How do most of you store and carry your X-Terra ?

Do you normally break it down or carry it round assembled ?

Are there any decent carry bags available that would allow it to be transported assembled?

My 705 came with a bonus Minelab soft carry case, but its a hassel to break it apart to fit the bag, and the bag, being soft, doesn't offer much protection.

Any thoughts ?

Danno

I usually don't use a bag as I typically fly solo and it just rests in the cab of the pickup with me. But when I do pack them for carry, I use one of my cordura Minelab bags. I don't break my detectors apart to carry them. I just slip the lower rod up to as short as it will go and it fits in the bag nicely. Just make sure you have enough slack in the coil cable, when you fold the coil down flat (to rest in the bag). JMHO HH Randy

On the S-bent stock shaft the lower rod only slides up so far before it dead ends. If a person gets an upper straight shaft(costs extra for the non-metallic carbon fiber one) like those available from Anderson detector shafts, the lower rod will slide up further to make the X-Terra more compact. The same goes for my Musky with the upper straight shaft, the lower rod slides about all the way up.

I wish Minelab made a hard shelled case with a foam interior for the X-Terra's. My Garrett 2500 had a nylon type soft case with foam interior from the factory.

Also for a grab and run detector set-up, keeping the detector all in one piece for quick access. The detector & coil can be strapped or put on on top of alot of deep foam(about 3" to 4" or more) and/or a vehicle seat is also soft. I put mine on the back car seat with the control box on an extra piece of foam all covered by a darker colored(like a shade of brown-beige and not bright white) bed sheet(poly-cotton blend is best). It keeps it out of prying eyes(sight) and also shaded from the sun. A soft place in the trunk(completely out of sight from theft) is also a good idea. Maybe line your car trunk with deep foam.

The best cases at Pelican for a metal detectors are models 1700, 1720, 1730, and 1750...get olive green or beige but not black because of the direct sunlight...you will be very please with these waterproof cases...
http://www.pelican.com/case_category.php?pageNum_RecordsetCase=6&totalRows_RecordsetCase=58&CaseSize=%&New=%

UK cases: http://www.customcaseco.com/ukcases.html

I like this Hardigg case:
http://www.stormcase.com/StormCaseSizes/StormiM3220.htm

http://www.zerohalliburton.com/index.jsp

Someone told me to use a bow case, also maybe a gun case but these are usually too thin and a person needs a thicker one.

A person can also make his own long sized metal detector case at home if you are handy, out of about 3/8" to 1/2" plywood, piano hinges, and with foam. (A person could get foam from a bedding shop, buy foam used for under sleeping bags, or the 'waffled' foam used for putting over a bed mattress, then cut this to fit.)

Hope this helps.

P.S. I also forgot to mention an 'old suitcase' you have kicking around at home or get at a second-hand shop, 'either soft or hard sided' with deep foam you can put inside yourself, makes a good inexpensive metal detector case. You can cut out the shape of the detector in the foam with a box cutter knife if need be. A foam lined 'duffle bag' may not be good enough. I have a Texas Grapefruit box that is made of very strong-rigid cardboard. A person could make a detector case out of something like this(thick cardboard box, deep foam lined) by cutting, using a tape gun, and modifying this too.

I was wondering the same thing. I've been thinking about taking it on a plane with me as I fly to alot of places. Will probably break it down and put the head and coil in my carry on. I go to turke every year and will be taking it this year for sure.

If mine is going to sit more than a week I usually take the display off and put it in the Minelab bag that they threw in when I bought the detector. That Minelab bag is o.k. but it's a tight fit even with the pole setup short. That was kind of a bad design. It would be nice to be able to leave the display on in the bag. Maybe I'm missing something about how that bag is supposed to work. I have enough room in my vehicle that I carry it around fully assembled most days.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions everyone.

mapper65:

My 705 came with a bonus Minelab soft carry bag (olive green with the Minelab logo) It's not the carry bag depicted on the X-Terra DVD or on the Minelab site, its shorter and half round at either end.

It has a few clear pocket windows inside and a velcro strap. Is that the same one you got ?

I don't know how its supposed to hold the detector either? Looks to me like it is made for a totally different purpose.

cheers,

Danno

Mine is the blue bag with kind of a red zippered pocket on the one side. The detector fits in the bag but it's a tight fit, mainly at the end where the arm rest of the detector is. I put the control box in the zippered pocket. It's too much of a pain if you use your detector every couple of days like I have been lately.

Mine is totally different to that and smaller too. I might look around for something larger that I can fit it in assembled.

Looks like your off to play a gig with that case ! You might get mistaken for a rock 'n' roller! :nopity: :) :)

Hi,

I have a longish bag like a slim sports bag.
Breaks down in a minute or two and the same to reassemble.
I pack mine in bubble wrap envelopes that I made up to size

Tips...mark the holes where the shaft pins sit to save time adjusting / readjusting the length to suit for you.
...always unbolt and take the coil off the lower rod, it takes pressure off the important ears.

happy travelling

T59