Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

traveling with MXT

Moe (FL)

I have an opportunity to go to New England soon and was thinking of bringing my MXT. Do airlines allow you to take the detector as carry-on (if disassembled)? I am afraid to put it in with the cargo. Is there a recommended way to package it?

Thanks and HH.
Moe (FL)

I would call the airlines and see what they say. Recently I saw someone on one of the forums who said to help stop it from getting damaged he carefully packed it in a small suitcase, then used a larger suitcase. I recently went to Florida, was going to bring mine. I decided due to time restrictions....(kids always wanting to be at Universal Studios or Disney) it was not worth it!!! I would make sure you are going to have enough time to use it there first, if so contact airlines. Hey if it is a vacation ...enjoy!

Hi, I've asked this question a few times over the past year and people have told me it is OK.

Based on that, I took my MXT as a carry-on a few times now with no problem any time.

Might call the airlines as suggested, but on Southwest anyway I haven't had a problem.

I wouldn't go to New England without it if I were you. So much history there I think you'll wish you had your MD if you don't take it. Sometimes I only get a few hours to use mine at destinations, but when I don't take it, I find I really wish I had it.

Take care and HH

I took mine on a Delta from Raleigh to Wisconsin in a cary on and had no issues. The airline told me to do this. Don't pack extra batteries in the suitcase but leave the one in the detector there so you can prove it is a working device if asked. Domt pack a leashe or digging tool in the cary on.

I've gotten questions trying to carry mine on. I'd recommend packing it into your regular check-in luggage.

Chris

For more info check out my webpage at:
The Very Unofficial MXT Users Support Homepage
http://nevada-outback-gems.com/MXT_files/MXT_basepage.htm

Moe I went to Cancun,Mex. last May and took my Tector. I packed it in a Hard- Gun Carrying case. I had no problems, I checked mine the only question was what was in the case when I told them MD no other questions. One other thing it was hand carried into the luggage pick up area by an employee in Cancun and in Charlotte when I returned. No problems with the tector I packed the batteries with it.Hope this helps.
Dirtfishin in Carolina
HH

I work for the feds doing aviation security investigations. Let me tell you that bringing a metal detector as a carry on is not an issue. A MD is just any other piece of electronic equipment. As with any electronic gadget, it gets screened the same way. You should have no problems bringing on an aircraft as a carry on. I know there may be some inconsistencies with each airport and how the screeners perform their duties, but by and large the procedures are standardized throughout the system.

My son and I have taken our detectors several times on flights. We pack them with ample padding in an oversized golf bag carrier and simply check it as luggage. There's plenty of extra room for other tools and accessories, too. We've packed as many as four detectors and two long-handled beach scoops and other tools. The carrier has rollers, so it's easy to handle, despite the weight. Never a problem with security or anything--only the occasional note that the bag has been examined.

HH,

Dan