Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Trashy Yards!!

I've hunted my dad's and my vard pretty hard because I've found a lot of wheaties and some silver dimes. I know that there is still more coins to find , but both yards are so littered with junk that I can't find an area clean enough to properly Ground Balance my Tejon. Tonight after work I even set my detector to the lowest setting in discriminate with sensitivity at 10 and spent two hours digging every signal in a 10 foot square area. Once I didn't get any more signals I tried to GB my detector in all metal in the area that I cleared and it was still acting like it was picking up junk in the area I thought I had cleared. I'm wondering if all metal detects deeper than discriminate and if it was still reading deeper junk that I missed?? Any ideas on how to properly GB my Tejon in extremely trashy areas? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

All metal will go deeper than when using the discriminator, however with your sensitivity at the max. you may be hearing false signals. If they do not repeat when you repeat your swing don't bother digging, only run the sensitivity high enough to allow your detector to work with out false readings. To ground balance use all metal. start with the coil raised about waist high than lower it to the ground. Now if the sound increases think of the control nob as a volume control if the sound increases turn the nob to the left. Should it go down in volume crank it to the right. Ideally the sound should remain the same from waist to the ground.

Yeah I would bump the sensitivity down to about half or a little above and work my way up. Too high sensitivity causes many problems and masks good targets. This is the most misunderstood control on a detector and folks treat it like an accelerator on a car, thinking the higher they crank it the deeper it will go. Turning it up does not drive the signal deeper into the ground as many seem to think. It just makes the coil more sensitive to everything in the ground including junk and mineralization. It's surprising how many goodies one can find if they just bump that control down a few notches.

Bill.

Thanks for the great advice Doug and Bill. Like I said before I'm quite the newby so advice is always GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Some year maybe I'll know what the heck I'm doing , but at least I always have a great time when I'm out there swinging a detector. Even beginners get lucky once in a while. Craig