Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Training on the beach with my new 1270

Bob Stephens

:detecting:Hi Gang! Was out this afternoon doing a self training session with my 1270 down at the beach. The beach is heavily used, heavily hunted and my aim today at the beach was to find and dig really deep targets and see if the 1270 lived up to its reputation as a deep seeker. Of course I was hoping for some good finds but regardless of what I dug up, this hunt was to be a learning experience.

First, the 1270 deserves its deep seeking reputation! Ground balancing and running in the all metal mode at maximum SENS creates a situation where you have tremendous sensitivity to very small and very deep targets. You have a bit of background noise with the SENS set at 9 or 10 but metal targets will still sound off through the chatter and there is no mistaking these.

At a depth of 11", I found a piece of junk metal about the size of a small cigarette package and finding deeply buried bottlecaps at depths of 6, 7, or 8" was not uncommon. If any of these finds had been relics or coins with historical or monetary value, they would have been in my "keeper" pouch rather than my junk bag. I didn't find much today in the way of good items but it didn't matter; I found out what I wanted to find on how the machine performs.

Too, I took one of my dug nails from the sand and put it directly over top of a penny I also dug there and checked to see how the IRON DISC works on the 1270. I first ran the IRON DISC at a level of 6 which didn't knock out the nail but when I ramped it up to a level of 10, the signal disappeared. When I put the nail over top of the coin and passed the coil over this combo, the detector sounded off clear and repeatable on the penny. When I buried the two pieces together about 4" down, I still got the signal clearly enough to see the EM field was picking up the copper penny. This to me is proof enough the IRON DISC works as designed and should be able to pickup silver, copper, brass and lead if there is enough of a contact area for the search field to "see" in areas of trashy iron nails.

It was a good day as all the deep junk I dug on the beach helped me to better understand how this machine performs and how it will likely do around old cellar holes, ploughed fields, etc. It's a great piece of engineering for sure and a credit to Fisher!

One curio I did find on the beach hidden away in the deeper layers of sand was what I think is an Oriental coin of some variety. It was found while hunting in the super sensitive ALL METAL mode at a depth of 4" or 5" down in the sand. It's the size of a quarter and has Oriental characters for Identification and a very Oriental looking figure. That qualified as my "find of the day".

We're heading north for (Canadian) Thanksgiving weekend (Louise, myself and several of my detectors) for a weekend of feasting, spending some time with my Stepson, Step Daughter in Law and my Grandaughter Shannon.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and finds some goodies.

Best Regards and Happy Hunting to all.

Bob and Louise. Hamilton, Ont.

Hi Bill! Each hunt and self training session I have with my 1270 is teaching me a lot about its performance characteristics. I'm looking forward to trying some woods hunting (weather permitting) soon.

Best Regards and Happy Hunting.

Bob and Louise. Hamilton, Ontario. :twodetecting:

for Civil War relics. Most recently @ the DIV hunt, using all metal mode & bobbing the coil to get great ground balance.....
Copy-cat detectors like the Tejon couldn't even run in that red clay soil....The 1270 worked like a champ. :detecting:
HH,
Bill