Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Trading in my two detectors this weekend.

I made a call to my detector dealer and I am going to trade my two detectors in this weekend for two different ones. I'm trading my Cortez in for a Tejon and I'm trading my Tiger Shark in for a Vaquero. My two detectors each have an extra coil - Cortez a 4" Coil and Tiger Shark a 10 1/2" coil. I'm trading even up and I know that I'm losing some money in the deal , but I'd rather loose some money in a trade than not be happy with what I'm currently using. Plus being a musician for 23 years , I'm pretty used to losing money when I trade my gear in for different gear. I'm looking forward to getting my two new detectors this weekend after reading all the good reviews on them by their users.

Good luck, hope you like them. I don't quite see why you didn't keep the tiger shark and just trade for the Tejon as the two you're getting are so similar, but it's your deal.
HH
BB

I see some of you don't think that I'm making a wise descision on my upcoming trade , so I'll explain why I'm doing it. I really do like the Tigershark , but I live in Northern Wisconsin and pretty much all the beaches around me are on campgrounds in the National Forest. A month ago I was detecting one of them very early in the morning (it was still dark when I started) before the swimmers would start showing up , and I was filling in all my holes and removing all the junk I was digging ( some very dangerous to swimmers I might add - Nails , screws , a drill bit , sharp pieces of metal , and old fishing hooks) , when I was approached by a female game warden who told me that I was breaking the law and wanted to see my finds. She said that she could fine me , but that she would just give me a warning this time. She also said that all the beaches in the National Forest were off limits to detecting. I told here that I came very early before the swimmers showed up and looked for a sign that said no detecting allowed. I also told her that I was only digging in the sand and water and leaving the grass areas alone and that I was filling all my holes. I also showed her all the dangerous items that I removed from the beach , which she said that she appreciated , but I was still breaking the law and she asked me to leave. The couple beaches around me that aren't on National Forest land that I've tried seemed pounded to death , so it seemed pointless for me to have a water detector that I can't use and I would just stick to coinshooting. as for the detectors I'm getting seem similar , I'm hoping to get my fiancee interested in detecting and I wanted two high power detectors that were light but slightly different. I hope that expains the reason of my decision somewhat. Thanks for all your responses! Sincerly , Tesoro-CoinShooter.

I'm glad you realize how similar the machines are. The fact that the 2 machines will be used by 2 people makes your decision make sense.

Dan

Your decision makes sense to me. I live in Central Wisconsin and I was wondering if there is a way to get permission to MD in the Federal lands and State Parks??

Your choices make plenty of sense now that you've explained them. I think you'll like both machines a lot. Hope your fiancee takes to the hobby, my wife joins me from time to time and really enjoys the two competition hunts we attend every summer.
HH
BB

It's nice to hear from a fellow Wisconsinite ( Not that I have anything against anyone that isn't ). If your interested in picking up a slightly used Cortes or TigerShark I will be trading them in at Doug's Treasure Den in Wisconsin Rapids. Doug is a very nice guy and has been very helpful answering any of my question and very quick to get me what I need. I'm sure he'd treat you right too. Just letting you or anyone in the area know where I'm trading them in to if you're interested.

The way I understand it, is that you can detect, but only for modern stuff (less than 50 years old). I too was stopped in a National forest here in CA. At first, the ranger said "you can't do that". But then, upon further conversation, he said that I could, as long as I turned in any coins over 50 yrs. old. He drove off and never told me where to turn in the old coins at. I got a 1920s walking half that day too, but ..... durn it .... my math never was too good anyhow.

Also I think you can hunt if you're looking for something of your own that you lost. Like........ didn't you loose your boyscout ring there when you were a kid, right? I've even heard of persons saying they're looking for meteorites, which also sidestep the ARPA laws. They are not man-made, they are not cultural or historic, they are not mining, since they fall from the sky, etc... Supposedly it passes all muster, and they leave you alone if you say you're looking for meteorites.

Hay Tesoro-CoinShooter,

I think you did alright.

I have four Tesoro'es. Euro Sabre, Compadre, Vaquero
and a Silver Sabre uMax.

I still want a Tejun. I may get one before too long. So I
guess I'm just as crazy as you are.

But it's so much fun, I don't care what anyone thinks.

I'm doing good with my machines, so, like I say, It don't
matter.

The Tejon and V are semilar, but not that much.

The V is lighter and lends itsef to a different kind of hunting.

The Tejon is more sensative, has a wider range of acceptance
and has more features and depth.

You can still hunt beaches, but you can only get about waste
deep in the water.

Good luck with your new machines,

Tabdog

In my opinion those two machines are great choices to have. The Tejon is best for mild to medium soil because the circuitry is cranked so high, and the Vaquero works great in highly minerlized soil. The Tejon can less than useless in highly minerlized soil even with the 5.75 widescan coil on it. I'm going to send my Tejon in to the factory this winter for a tune-up and to see if they can adjust my GB range. Here in Colorado the soil is minerlized so in some place I can't even GB the thing. Also, about the Vaquero and it's silent search, with a widescan coil on in extremely minerlized areas it is an awesome performer. It's very sensitive on small gold nuggets with little or no problem with chatter. Try the 10" elliptical on the Vaquero, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for the info. I was kinda wondering what additional coils to get for my soon to be two new detectors. I believe they can both use the same coils if I'm not mistaken ( which I may be because I'm still quite the newbie ) . I've already learned a lot from this forum by asking questions and reading past posts. You all seem really helpful here and that's nice to see the way things tend to be nowadays. Thanks again for your comments as thay are greatly appreciated! I hope all ( or at least most ) your beeps are good ones.

Well , tomarrow (Saturday) is the big day for my trade. I'm looking forward to trying out my new machines , but not for the hour and a half ride one way to get them. I hope I'll have some time yet this year to try them out. It's already getting pretty cold here in Northern Wisconsin. Nights have been dipping down into the upper 20's and lower 30's. Brrrrrrrr - Too cold for my liking. I'm planning on skipping watching the Packer game and going some detecting Sunday by my granparents old cabin 40 minutes from where I live. I've already pulled a 1920 Merc , some silver rosies , and a few wheats out of the yard with my Cortes. I'm curious if my new machines will find anything the Cortes may have miseed. I'll keep you posted if I do - weather permitting - It may rain. If the weather looks threatening I'll just have to hunt closer to home if I can.

you'll love that Tejon if you take the time to learn it.

I've used almost all the Tesoros and they're all great machines. But, the manual ground balance Tesoros are by far the deepest and best.

Not sure why you decided to get the V with the Tejon as the Tejon is deeper (something even James G. admited on the offical forum).

The Tejon is nearly the perfect coin/ring/relic machine and a few of us know this.

Just don't do like most new owners and ground balance over trash iron. This mistake is why some have posted that the Tejon (also Nautilus IIb) is not deep. I love it because this makes for lots of low cost used Tejon's. Very few THers really know how to use manual ground balance machines.

Watch the Tesoro ground balancing videos and set the Tejon slightly positive. Run it lower sensitivity until you learn it and then go to maximum sensitivity. Use a slow hunt and keep that coil near the surface. Listen for those smooth weak signals--BAM! This is how you get those deep seated coins.

HH

Thanks for the info , I really appreciate all the advice I can get since I am rather new to the hobby. I just got my two new machines today and only had time to give the Vaquero a quick test spin in my Dads yard (He lives next door). I have hunted his yard relentlessly with my Cortez that I just traded in and have pulled alot of wheaties and some silver coins out of his front yard. The problem with the Cortez was that it chattered incesively with all the iron buried there and I had a hard time telling the difference between good and bad targets even with discrimination cranked to max. Needless to say I dug a lot of junk per coin that I found. I only had time to search his front yard for a little over half an hour ( in the dark) and the Vaquero ran like a dream. All the noise my Cortes gave me was non-existant with the Vaquero , and my first solid repeatable signal was a dime ( at 3-4 inches ) that my Cortes missed. Unfortunately it wasn't silver thou. I did dig a couple of iffy signals that I suspected were trash - which they were , but I wanted to learn the language of my new machine and to see if I was correct in my guess of the targets. I don't regret getting the Vaquero at all since it seems to be a real smooth running machine. My fiancee will probably run the Vaquero and I will run the Tejon. I'm going to read the Tejons manual tonight before I go to bed and give her a test run tomarrow. If she runs better than the Vaquero I will be more than pleased with my double trade. I ordered a 5.75 inch coil for them and bought a pair of grey ghost headphones. I really liked the headphones and can't wait for my new coil to come in a few days. I'll keep you posted on my test run with the Tejon. Thanks again for your advice! Sincerly Tesoro-CoinShooter

[size=medium]Yes the V runs smooth. It's really nice[/size]....:detecting:

[size=medium]It can be set to run in iron trash and do very well.

When you get a chance, try out the all metal for searching. It is
real easy to check a target, just thumb the disc. You don't even
have to flip a switch first...

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog[/size]

places my Nautilus and Minelab Explorer found nothing. I did this with the Tejon.

The depth of the Tejon is almost beyond belief.

But remember to hunt very slowly.

Your Cortes had factory preset ground balance in discrimination mode and that setting was probably too negative for your soil conditions thus the chatter.

The Tejon will also chatter if not set correctly. Proper ground balance is extremely important with the Tejon.

You get that GB right and run the sensitivity at the right level and the Tejon will run smooth like the V. BUT, it's when you learn to run the Tejon too high in sensitivity that you'll start to find coins and buttons at 9-12 inches deep. Good targets usually stand out from the false targets. This is what you must learn by experience.

But the V is also a great machine and is easier to learn than the Tejon.