Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Trading in for an SE Pro

My hunting buddy and I like to compare signals before we dig. He uses an SE Pro and I use a Teknetics Omega 8000. He has hit every coin signal that I have had him check , but there have been several instances now where I can't hit a coin signal that he has had me check. I tell him that I'm not getting a reading / signal and I continue on my way detecting. All of a sudden he's holding up a coin saying "I told you so" or something similar. I'm not ripping on the Omega or anything , because I have found a lot of coins with it ( Some pretty deep ) , but when my buddy pulls up a coin that I couldn't hit it makes me wonder what I'm missing. I did use an E-Trac a while back , but I didn't like the straightened out graph compared to the "S" curve of the other explorers. The E trac made too many rusty nails sound diggable to me. I'm not saying that the nails hit solid like a coin , but they would give me good enough numbers and tone mixed in my readings that would make me think that a coin was being masked by trash. I'm not one who digs only repeatable targets. If I get a good number or tone mixed in my readings even if it isn't consistant or repeatable - I dig it. Out of all the detectors that I've owned the E-Trac had me digging the most rusty nails for the way that I detect. My buddy doesn't have a problem with rusty nails with his SE Pro , and neither did I when he let me use it - at least not to the extent of the E-Trac. I know that when you detect that you are going to dig junk / trash and that not every signal is going to be a goodie , but I swear I dug enough rusty nails with the E-Trac to build a log cabin with. I know some people love the E-Trac and maybe they took more time to learn it than I did , but after my buddy let me use his SE Pro I was immediately impressed by it. I hope that I didn't get any E-Trac users mad by what I said - It's only my experience and opinion about the E-Trac. One guy will think a certain detector is the best thing going on the market today , and the next guy will bash it to no end - that's just the way it is. I've been waiting for Richard (Backwoods) to post a used SE Pro and he finally did , so I pulled the trigger on it. Thanks Richard! Happy Hunting everybody - No matter what detector that you swing - as long as you have fun and feel confident with your machine - that's all that matters , and it doesn't matter what other people think. CoinShooter-Craig

Craig---That's an interesting post & your last sentence about says it all.---If you don't feel confident in the machine you are useing----you just aren't going to do as well with it, period!----Don't be concerned about getting the Etrac users (I'm one of 'em) mad at you about your statements--if they get irritated--they have a real problem.---Everyone is entitled to their opinion.---I've owned & used all the Explorers/Etrac & my favorite (until the Etrac came along) was the Explorer 2--I loved that machine.----In fact, I just bought a "new" used one from Chris.---I told Bryce just the other day that it's just like haveing an old friend (EX 2) comeing home.----Gonna keep my Etrac also though!! :biggrin: :thumbup: --------Del

the Teks are good machines. I dont know if you did this or not, but if i have someone interested in a machine like mine and we are checking signals one of the best ways i found was to get a splitter from radio shack and plug their headphones in. Sometimes its the skill of the user or even the headphones. I have two pair of headphones..... believe me when i say they are different. One i used in open areas the other in junk based on where im going to hunt that day. One pair is very loud and i hear every little thing the other modulates the sounds and is easier to tell the difference on deeper coins. I use the SE and decided to wait and see what the future machines offer.... besides a higher price tag before i consider switching.

Dew

Not to dampen your spirit, that is what I thought about the SE. Mine is a nail grabber compared to the EII. I may just have a lemon, but I have heard many others say the same thing. I used the SE for one season and struggled - resorting to ferrous tones and no disc. Finally I got out the EII - it was like an old trusted friend. I sent the SE in and ML put new "guts" in it. I only used it a couple times, lost confidence and EII worked better. I still have the SE setting here as a $1000+ paperweight/backup. My EII keeps on working. In a nutshell: SE said deep nails were coins - EII said they were iron.

Now if it went the other way - the SE was better with iron - that would have been worth the price (btw the SE was advertised as such, which is why I purchased). From what I am hearing and my opinion is that new machines since the EII are not as good as the EII. At most they are a lateral move. What a sad situation!! I wonder how many loyal Explorer users have been tee'd off after dropping big bucks to upgrade, only to find the old one worked better. My SE will most likely get traded for a T2 or F75.

I do this rant every so often, sorry. I am sorry for the purchase and loss of confidence in ML. I have used an explorer since 1999.

Take care and HH - BF

I had a E trac ,sold it . Thought I was still missing good targets .So I bought another one.Ended up selling that one also. Iron sounded to much like a good target, and most good targets sounded pretty much the same.I Also didn't like the straightened out graph. I find that the SE and the Ex2 tells me much more. I can tell what coin I'm digging just by the sound( most of the time ). There wasn't a target that I hit with the E trac that couldn't hit with the SE. Like I said....that's just me.

Sorry I didn't keep my Explorer 2 after I got the SE I did much better with the 2 . If the SE is newer and better you can't prove it by me . I'm not spending
big bucks and taking a chance on an E-Trac either .

Well , now I don't know what to do - Lol??? I'm considering backing out of the used SE Pro ( if it's not too late ) and trading in for a new Explorer II instead because most of the sites that I hunt are riddled with iron and a lot of deep nails. Will the Explorer II hit coins as deep as the SE Pro?? I hate backing out of a deal , but this is the last detector purchase that I am going to be able to make for quite a while ( or my fiance is going to kill me ) and I want to make sure that I get the right detector that suits my needs ( hunting in iron ). I appreciate all of your advice on my possible trade and possibly steering me in the right direction to a detector that properly suits my detecting needs. I'll keep you posted on the direction I take. Thanks again and happy hunting. - CoinShooter-Craig

Well I just got done checking out Minelabs website and the only Explorer models that I saw advertised there were the E-Trac (no thanks) , the SE Pro , and the Safari. Do they still make new Explorer II's or did they discontinue making them due to the production of the newer Explorer type models??? One other quick question - What's the difference between the Explorer II and the Explorer XS?? If I can't get a new Explorer II I'm just gonna have to go for the used SE Pro and maybe next year when my fiance is over this detector purchase I'll keep my eye open for a nice used Explorer II and purchase it. Then I'll see which one that I like better head to head and maybe get rid of the one that I like the least , or if they both have a place in my arsenal - just keep them both. I'll know more by the time I head in to work tomorrow night ( 3rd shift ). Thanks again for all of your input - even though it made my decision a little more complicated - Lol. Happy Hunting , CoinShooter-Craig

There is always that argument that mine is better than yours and mine didnt work right. Its your money and your choice. Ive never let anyone sway my decision i just did my research. There are improvements that have been made.... as there are lemons with each so keep it in mind. Personally, i dont think you would go wrong if you got even and XS. Still think you might want to check out the SOV if its beach hunting you are interested in.... hip mount and no display to confuse you.

Dew

Hi Craig,
They replaced the EII with the SE, so only used EII's are available. It has been a while, but the big difference between the machines is that the SE has VCO pinpoint and gives a target ID in pinpoint mode. They also switched to the Slimline coil, which no one liked. The SE Pro has the new 11 inch Pro coil which is good.

If you are buying a used machine, try for a EII in good shape. Note that the EII did not come with the Slimline coil. Lots of Slimline coils are showing up on used machines (no one wants them - the 950 is much better). The EII came with the black 9.5", 950 coil. Here is a more in depth description of a deep coin signal and why I gave up on the SE.

In discrimination mode, I get a hit that is deep and quiet - sounds like a coin when I do the three inch sweep directly over the signal. I turn 90 Deg. and check the signal again with a three inch sweep. The EII goes into a null - I walk on. That is how the EII handles deep iron, you can rely on it. Now the same signal with the SE - it would give me a nice high tone, coin signal initially and at 90 Deg. - impossible to distinguish iron from a coin!! Very frustrating, especially if you are use to the EII's response. Small difference but a huge problem unless you like digging nails.

Good accessories for the EII - Sun Ray probe, Sun Ray 8" coil, 11" Pro Coil.

Hope this helps and HH - BF

Robin---I believe you meant to say 1050 coil (not 950)----the EX 2 came with the black 1050 coil. :) -------Del

I used the Smartscreen on the SE Pro and very seldom dug a nail, and when I did, it was against my better judgement, just being hopeful. If you get the SE Pro, give the Smartscreen/Ferrous mode a try. the nails will sound good but the cursor will be in the lower right corner, the coins will be in the upper right corner. The SE Pro is a great machine, in the right hands.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the great advice. I know that my buddy doesn't dig a lot of rusty nails with his SE Pro , but I'm not sure of his settings. I'm pretty sure that he uses the smartscreen thou. Dew - Thanks for the advice on the SOV , but I live in Wisconsin and they put the kabosh on water hunting here , and most of the beaches near me here in the northwoods are national forest campgrounds and are off limits to detecting. I found that out one day when a warden kicked me off a beach even though it was 7 in the morning , no one was there , and I showed them all of the dangerous / sharp trash items that I removed from the beach and swimming area ( old fishing / treble hooks , a drill bit , nails , screws , and misc. sharp pieces of metal.). I looked for a sign before I started that said no detecting and didn't find one , but the warden said that I was breaking the law and that I had to leave - even though he appreciated the trash removal that I did. Maybe they should use a detector to remove the dangerous trash items and make our beaches safer for our children then since we cant anymore. Needless to say after that and the new no water detecting law I sold my Tigershark shortly thereafter. Since they no longer make new Explorer II's I'm just going to go with my original deal ( I hate backing out of a deal anyways ) and purchase the used SE Pro , and possible look for a nice used Explorer II when I get my taxes back next year. I may keep then both or I may just keep the one that I like better. Thanks again to everyone , CoinShooter-Craig

sovereign will go real deep on land hunting not sure if its as deep as the explorer as i'm still learning my xs but you can't go wrong for deep coins with the sovereign.

CoinShooter-Craig said:
Thanks again to everyone for all of the great advice. I know that my buddy doesn't dig a lot of rusty nails with his SE Pro , but I'm not sure of his settings. I'm pretty sure that he uses the smartscreen thou. Dew - Thanks for the advice on the SOV , but I live in Wisconsin and they put the kabosh on water hunting here , and most of the beaches near me here in the northwoods are national forest campgrounds and are off limits to detecting. I found that out one day when a warden kicked me off a beach even though it was 7 in the morning , no one was there , and I showed them all of the dangerous / sharp trash items that I removed from the beach and swimming area ( old fishing / treble hooks , a drill bit , nails , screws , and misc. sharp pieces of metal.). I looked for a sign before I started that said no detecting and didn't find one , but the warden said that I was breaking the law and that I had to leave - even though he appreciated the trash removal that I did. Maybe they should use a detector to remove the dangerous trash items and make our beaches safer for our children then since we cant anymore. Needless to say after that and the new no water detecting law I sold my Tigershark shortly thereafter. Since they no longer make new Explorer II's I'm just going to go with my original deal ( I hate backing out of a deal anyways ) and purchase the used SE Pro , and possible look for a nice used Explorer II when I get my taxes back next year. I may keep then both or I may just keep the one that I like better. Thanks again to everyone , CoinShooter-Craig

Craig the SE is an excellent detector. I think each one got better as they went through the years on them, from the XS to the SE. I just got rid of an EXII a short while ago, kept two SEs and my Etrac because I like those better. I keep the multiples now simply because of the disorder minelab is in now. they should have hired the beverly hillbillies to move them, they would be done by now:thumbup:

because of the disorder minelab is in now. they should have hired the beverly hillbillies to move them, they would be done by now.

:rofl:

I think I am too tired to get up off the floor. :biggrin: Goodnight everybody!

Rich