Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tough decision... finalized

Ron J

Been searching Coast Guard/ Life Saving Station related sites for quite awhile now. Have contributed many photographs of past & present to a web site, named "Coast Guard photgraphs" run by Dick Levesque out of Tennesee. Dick is a retired Coastie,and has a great web. He turned me on to "The Coast Guard Heritage Museum" in Barnstable Village, on Cape Cod. I visited their web,and it led to other sights of personal interest to me.I have not visited the Museum personally,but had been mulling around the thought of loaning my fathers personal belongings. I have written before,he was in the service from 1924 to 1951,mostly all duties on Cape Cod,where he was born. I was concerned if such a loan was made,will it be safe? Displayed professionally? Most important,i want it ALL back,undamaged. I finally contacted the curator,and spoke about the items i have. He was very interested,and would gladly set up a display in the Museum. The building is alarmed, closed circuit etc.I felt a lot better,and decided to drive there this weekend,to deliver my Fathers personal belongings,plus boat models,he scratch built,various books/magazines,and his Chiefs hat,and coat,which i have a picture of Dad wearing the uniform before retirement.I also have a photo of Dad when he was 17,in his Life Saving Service uniform,from 1924! I have been spending the last couple of nights gathering the items together for the trip,on Saturday. My only major concern is this is THE big weekend for travelers to the Cape. I will leave around 4:00 am,no traffic! The decision was kinda tough,these items have never been out of the family home.My brothers and i grew up seeing these items everyday,but not realizing the importance of them until its too late... Wish my father was here to ask all about how,and when he made them. I know he was stationed on the buoytender,the Cowslip,had command of the Picket boat,but do not know what the Cutter is? Maybe the Aivik,which he went to Greenland during WWII. I hope the display will be worthwhile! Maybe i will meet new friends,and hear stories of the enlistment dutys in the Coast Guard. I'll find out Saturday! The pictures you are viewing were taken tonight,its the first time any of those boats have been outside of this house for 37 yrs,and they were at our prior residence for another 22 years! Still got quite a few items to pack. Rj

with others is a wonderful thing for you to do. And what a great way to pay tribute to your dad. Sounds like the museum is a very safe place, just be sure and tell your brother/family members, should anything happen to you (I pray not), but IF,....then they will know how to recover these items for the family's sake. Did you have to insure them, or is the museum insuring them? Of course no amount of money could replace any one of these items. WOW! Your dad was very regal looking and a very handsome guy. Good on you for tracing all of this history and trying to make the story all come together. Perhaps you will meet others that can help you get the whole story.

Nate leaves tomorrow to go back Kosovo. His visit was not near long enough! One of his best friends came to dinner tonight, and like your father, has joined the Coast Guard. He will be leaving July 1. He is very excited.

Keep us abreast of the museum, and thank you so much for sharing your father's way of life. His models are wonderful. Did you ever post a photo of his sea chest that was returned to you? I don't remember it.

Good Luck with the museum, and have a safe trip. :)

If you are near the junctions of RT24 and Rt495 and have a minute or two I am not far up RT24 . Would be glad to meet you, coffee or a quick tour of the pumpkin patch . PM me if you need or want more details .
Bill G.

n/t

Provided they understand that these pieces remain the property of family. Those models will and should be treasured for years to come.:thumbup:

Your Dad would be proud of you for bringing his heritage to share with others! Have a good trip!

Dave