Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Touching or Not Touching? :blink:

Gadget Guru

I hear some people say Do Not touch the ground with the coil when searching and some that say you will get more depth by sliding it on the ground! (with coil cover of course)

What are the pros & cons? (Besides wearing out coil and/or cover faster)

Please post your comments and experiences.
Thanks

:cheers:

You go deeeeeep when coil is as close to the target as you can get.
It will take a looooong time to need a new coil cover and at less than
$10 rub it on the GROUND and you may find that 1916d dime.:detecting:

That's what a coil cover is for. Go ahead, trim the grass. Also, remember to take the cover off now and then and clean it and the coil. On a wet day you may want to tilt your coil and let the water drain out. P.S. the water won't hurt your coil if it is sealed good.

The immediate SIMPLE answer is .... NO, do NOT "touch" or "scrub" the coil on the ground.

thanks Monte.i never did understand a lot of that hi tec.i do know it is a pleasure to swing the new lighter detectors.i know this old body could not stand swinging that old red baron.i think all the batteries weighted half as much as the detector.

I sure like reading your posts Monte. What you do best is explain the function with a historical insight. The machines of the '70s were the best there was. I wanted and waited for automatic ground balance and yet there are places where manual GB would be preferred. As for working in bad ground, I like the automatics for more time swinging. Because of how well you present the information and explain the application of ground balance you should author a book on the topic. You are right about the difficulty understanding just what one wants to achieve through MGB, and getting the most out of a machine that offers it. Some soils are tough to work and who knows what was passed up at favorite fishing holes Long ago. I have been told that some areas are now thoroughly worked out with newer detectors. That would have been fun to find the old silver and maybe a class ring or two!

Cannonball

I noticed that "fold over" a long time ago but didn't realize that my ground was the only one to have it. Your post on the other forum titled "best detectors in iron infested areas" is one of the most concise informative ones I have ever seen. Write it all down and we will buy it. Thanks for the info, never a dull moment with your posts.

which I have made over the last dozen years, many of them are going to be cleaned-up, restructured as necessary, spell checked and proof read and then incorporated in my book.

My biggest problem is that I haven't made copies of my replies. They were simply responses to questions or comments to try and help others, and while I know a few of them are touched on in my book efforts so far, I am beginning to wonder if there are any specific posts I have made that readers felt I ought to incorporate in the book?

So, if there are some posts from the past that you (Steve or others) have a link to or that you have copied and would like to send to me, I'll have a better idea of what information folks might be interested in reading.

Links or actual posts can be E-mailed to me at: MonteVB@comcast.net

Again, 'Thank You' for the kind words.

Monte

Haha, you will have me digging back thru your posts all over again but I always enjoy reading them. I'll send you some links, or paste some and reference them but do your book as you see fit.
Regards,
Steve(MS)