Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

tot lots

highlander05

I'm wondering if most of the good finds in a tot lot are found in the wood chips/mulch ??? So far I'm just working around the slides ., swings outside the mulch. I know I may be limiting myself doing that...........

Are you using a sniper coil? If you hunt lots of tot lots, that sniper coil will soon pay for itself getting coins and jewellery near the equipment that others can't get.

I have been working the tot lots hard this year and I am finding many coins and other interesting things.Kids today are wearing more gold and silver than ever and I do find my share of it in these spots. Like this morning,I went out and found a new spot within a few miles from my house I never knew was there. I spent about 2 hours and found $10.02 in change plus 1 game token, i silver charm and 1 gold ear ring. within the change I had found 1 wheat penny. Yes these spots do limit what you will find but the you will find more modern coins there. I guess it depends on the mood I am in or the time factor on what kind of hunting I will be doing each day. right now I am after the more coins the better.I am trying to save up for my new ace 250.Hearing many good things about this detector. well good luck hunting

Highlander, I read all the posts about hunting tot lots and I gotta tell you that here in upstate NY I have hunted a lot of playgrounds and I get the vast majority of my coins in the grassy area around and outside of the mulch. I don't know if someone else is just hitting the mulch or what. I always check in the mulch but I don't usually find much, but out in the grassy area I usually clean up! I see all the posts from other TH'ers with pics from all their finds in the playground but up here the playground is usually clean, but the grassy area is another story. It gets now that I head straight for the grassy area first and I will hit the mulch if I have time!:garrett:

Funny you mention that....same thing happens here too. There are some retired guys here, who spend there days ONLY doing tot lots and they are all scheduled for certain days of the week.

[size=medium]Well I don't have the sniper coil yet, still learning to use the standard small coil that came with the 250. As stated above, I'm working the grassy areas mostly. I'm mostly looking for coins because relic hunting requires more research .
I'm retired too so finding time to hunt isn't a problem, but the heat here in Texas will soon limit the time I can hunt. Anybody living in Tx can testify that the heat/humidity will stop you dead in the water so to speak. Even early morning the temp and humidity will often be the same number....
If , in the fall I'm still working at this, I'll get a sniper coil and maybe a pro pointer....
should also mention fire ants, these critters will cover you so quick you'll be in a world of hurt, so that'll be another thing to watch out for.[/size]
thanks for the replies from ya'll........good peeps here

I've only hunted the mulch areas so far. Funny thing though, I've found tons of clad and pennies near equipment, but my silver dime and wheatback pennies have come from the more open areas, away from the heavier trafficked areas. Weird huh?

Simple. Figure out where the most coins and jewelry are and hunt there.

Chris

I found my first Gold ring in the mulch. right next to one of the little merry go rounds. I hit that are first at the bottom of slides and on the edges of playground equip. You will find older coins in the open areas and under trees where the old folks sit to watch the grand kiddies. Happy hunting. :thumbup:

In my experience hunting tot lots, the best(most valuable) finds are going to be near and around any equipment that the kids parents would be pushing the kids on (such as swing sets and merry-go-rounds). For instance, acouple weeks ago my wife found a nice ring near a little merry-go-round in the mulch. On the same day I found a decent ring near the swing set. However, these finds can be made in other areas of the parks as well. People lose things while being active/playing. I believe the key is to concentrate on these areas of activity and dig EVERYTHING. You'll wind up with alot of junk/trash/pulltabs, etc., but you'll have a chance of finding the treasure. Also, if possible, concentrate on the more "well to do " parts of town. That helps too:biggrin: Best of luck to ya! Happy Hunting!

When I have hunted the tot lots I have found more stuff under the "tight spots" (under the steps to the equipment) I guess the old timer detectors can't get under there very well.:clsoedeyes:

Sorry to some of you.

Anyway I have been doing my "tests":thumbup: in the local park figuring where most of the activity areas wil do the best and I am slowly working my way to where we have an annual fair with all the topsy turvy rides the kind that drop stuff out of pockets. I know I have about 3-4 years worth of this fair to detect as soon as I get to the area.

It is like this guys I am in the country with just the "birds and the bees humming" (play ground & regular areas) and I am about to (hopefully) enter the "city noise" (if you know what I mean):clapping:

I hear the commercial song singing..."ANTICIPATION...ANTICIPAAAAATION IS MAKING ME WAIT":twodetecting:

Don