Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

tot lot - advice needed

teviotlad

hi. i have discovered a small tot lot which has swings and climbing frame which are situated on a rectangular sand pit within a grass park. the pit is 2ft deep. i have pulled out over 300 coins in the last 2 trips of 2hrs each. but no jewellery. i have xterra 305. am thinking of sieving it. i cant beleive there is so many coins sometimes 5 hits in a sweep, but no jewellery. any advice ?

What is "sieving" ??? Anyways ..... your coin count for 4 hours is impressive. And if you are'nt finding jewelry, maybe there is'nt any there to begin with? If you are digging nickel signals and also targets ranging below that .. foil, pull-tabs .. etc .... the jewelry will show-up eventually. Keep digging everything that sounds good.

Tot lots are one of the places where its feasible to dig everything. How deep is the sand? Sieving, seemingly, would be a lot more work then digging it all. HH jim tn

If you're going to sieve it, do it at an inconspicuous time of day. One of those draws more attention then a detector would. And, as mentioned earlier, DIG EVERYTHING AND REMEMBER THE SOUND/ID of the items. You have a good classroom right there that's paying you to come to school.

just had a 3rd session on my virgin tot lot. in total i have spent 5hrs between the three sessions and total coin finds amounting to over 110 pounds equiv to bout 160 dollars. and i hvent dug the hundreds of low value nickel or copper targets. best coinshoot find ive had. those sand pit tot lots are as good as atm machines.

If you're not digging the "low value nickel or copper targets" you're not going to get the gold jewelry. Personally, I'd dig the the low stuff first.

One advantage we have in Oregon, at least in the tri-county area in Portland and the surrounding area, is that most of our tot lots use bark chips up to 2-3 inches deep at the most. Sometimes we have to dig a little if the signal is below that, but we try to be casual about it when folks are around. And it automatically covers up our digging if we just level it when done. But we still need to learn what we hear and see to get the most out of our time spent.

That is an outrageous amt of coinage in a small spot, Its a wonder the kids werent getting hurt just falling on the metal reinforced sand itself. In a very good season I might find 2/3 of that in face value. You may get spoiled there. I agree with the others and think there is probably a bunch of jewelry there you will find. Good Luck, keep us posted. CO.

4th session today. around 10 pounds for today. more or less cleaned out now. that gives a nice total of around 120 pounds equiv to 180 dollars. not bad for a small tot lot and 6 hrs detecting. the big mystery is why no jewellery. i did dig many low numbers. looks like its all been kids money spills.

Not quite sure what you mean by small. Maybe if someone looses a ring on a small playground and realize it before they leave it easier to find, than if its lost on a massive one- the odds of them recovering it visually is higher on the small lot. But then I guess you could argue the odds of it getting stomped under the chips or sand before they realize it is gone is also higher on a small one. Does that make any sense? I dont know, But really that must of been a blast and truly have been bewildering. CO