Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Top service from US dealers.

wal.ellison

Hi all,
I'm proud to be Australian, but when it comes to getting service and good deals I'd love to live in the US. American prices are a lot lower for the same gear than here in Australia. Metal detector dealers are spread pretty thin on the ground over here compared to the States, and all charge top dollar. Just bought a set of headphones from the US, very quick and positive service, AND, even with the international express post, still cheaper than if I'd bought the same heaqdphones here in my local town! I got them in just over a week yet my own dealer here said about three weeks! Dollar is almost parity, but a new X-Terra 705 is about AUD $950 right here, even though Minelab are an Aussie company. Compare that with US deals, where you also get a bag of extra goodies. Well, that's my weekly beef done with. Now I'll go and get my gear ready for a Sunday digging. All the best to all
Wal

Glad to hear you had a good experience. Sounds like it's a supply and demand issue down under. I think that there is probably more competition here between dealers here and thus you see the lower prices on the metal detectors. But I agree it's really hard to understand how an XT-705 could be $200 more there than it is here given a pretty even exchange rate. Especially since they are made in your country. Seems like a big savings in shipping would be in order given the distance.

I think that tax rates are likely a big factor. Not necessarily sales tax, but some sort of VAT or small business tax.

As economies grow and prosper, governments grow and prosper as well. As some point, they attempt to increase egg production by strangling the chicken, and everything collapses.
Historiclly, the free market in a free society will be the most prosperous, and will spark the greatest innovations of that period. It is why the United States and Australia have been so successful, and why they are facing increasingly tougher times. The bigger the government, the poorer the people.

That does stink. The 705 is an awesome machine for sure though.

Once in awhile you find a good US dealer with good prices... :rofl:

Hi all,
thanks for comments. the 705 really is worth the money though, even at Australian prices. I checked with a couple of US dealers with the idea I'd buy it over there, making a good saving even with the shipping costs. I was told that neither they nor European dealers were allowed to sell Minelab to Australian customers. Yeah, all tied in to the business dollar and other factors. That's life I suppose. Always someone worse off than me, so I just plod along and remember how fortunate most of us are. I'm not well off financially, but I have many 'riches' in my life. Hey, now I'm getting maudlin !! time to go dig a hole somewhere.
All the best
Wal

I love that accent :) you can hear it right thru the type. I live in the Southwest of the US but have a very heavy New York type accent (shh..... i'm really from New Jersey) and they poke fun at me all the time. "Forget About It"...Have fun diggin the holes.
Joe