Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Took the Gamma on her Maiden Voyage - My first Impressions

jljkansas

Well, I know I purchased the Gamma for my wife but because her hair appointment was more important, I was forced:clapping: to take the Gamma out for her first run.
I went to a local football & baseball practice field where they have held carnivals in the past. I know that the coins will be newer but most are around 3-5 inches and I really wanted to get a feel for the Gamma. I had watched the video on line that shows the features so getting started was really easy.
#1 - The weight is awesome.
#2 - I used the ground grab feature without to much of an issue. Not used to ground balancing.
#3 - Notched in Nickles and notched everything else up to zinc out. I really wanted to see how it hits on coins.
#4 Set at 4 tones, I'm used to all of the tones the Sovereign makes and really kinda missed all of the in between tones but the 4 tones were good. The High tone is really nice.
#5 Sensitivity at 90 the Gamma was very stable and I had a little faulsing but not bad at all, however before I left the house I turned it on and I was under a power line and it didn't like that at all and even at 25 & 30% sensitivity I couldn't get the detector to settle down so I just shut it off. Something to keep in mind!

First Impressions. The machine doesn't seem flimsy even though it weighs next to nothing. The machine w/ the DD coil really does a great job of separating targets. The pinpoint works very well, I pinpointed with the controls pinpoint and also used the front of the coil like I would with my sovereign and both were right on. The hardest function to actually use for me is the depth meter, when I did remember to check the depth meter it was very close, it might actually show the targets just slightly shallower than the actual depth. One thing I did notice about nickles, if the number is not 57 it's not a nickle. I tried 55,56,58 several times and it was always junk. I had two solid 57 hits and they were both nickles ans they were at 3"-4" (forgot to check the meter). Copper pennies and dimes hit at the same number 83-84 every time, I could always tell a zinc penny by tone first and then number (always 77). I only found one quarter and it was on top of the ground and hit 90. Like any other detector I'm sure there are nuances to the Gamma that will appear the more we use it.

Overall I really enjoyed using the Gamma and I feel my wife is really going to enjoy detecting with it. It's fairly simple but not just a beep-beep detector. It's light weight and I think it will find deep coins. We will find out.
3 hours today - 10 pre 82 pennies, 6 zincs,1 canadian penny, 2 nickles, 9 dimes, 1 quarter and a small junk jewelry pendant (3/8" dia.) and NO SORE ARM

Great report!!! Glad you like it!! Feel free to do a review on it under the gamma on my site!