Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tone question from a potential.

mudpuppy

The Deus has 4 tones right? Or is it possible to have more? Do you Deus users think a Delta Pitch would be possible with a software upgrade?
Thanks!
Mud

Yes, 1,2,3 or 4 tones are all that is possible on V2. V3????

As for Delta Pitch, I am not sure what you mean. Could you explain?

There is a Pitch Mode on the expert Multi Tones settings menu. As it says in the manual "the strength of the signal generates an audio signal that varies both in volume and frequency". I am not sure how this would be used in the field.

Delta Pitch assigns a different sound to every signal on the integer scale from 1 to 99...iron is a low grunt, depending on the size and depth, this signal can have different strengths, tone and meaning...as the targets move up the scale, the tones consistently get higher. A person can tell a dime from a Q, or a Q from a half, even though the tid numbers are not far apart. It is very handy...
Mud

So you are looking to get a M-Lab tone from the Deus? Don

no sorry...I am relatively new to this with no experience on the ML's, I am attracted to the Deus for many reasons its speed being one...I hunt fairly fast, so Its important to me to hear as much info as possible as quickly as I can. Delta Pitch and Proportional Audio gives me that...I had no idea ML's have this feature...perhaps I'm looking at this all wrong..sorry.
Mud

The Minelab CTX has what is called 50 conductive tones. Because there is 50 conductive increments. But telling 38 from 43 is maybe stretching it without looking at the digital read out. The tones on the Deus are not all that good to me. Like telling 625 from 650. I think 4 tones are plenty. Actually I only use three myself. 1 for discrimination, 1 for anything lower than an Indian and the last for everything Indian and above. This is my Coin program. It is the one I use the most. And I do have a program with 4 tones where I include Nickels. But the fourth tone is pushing it. Too much information. The ground needs to be clean for the fourth tone. Being a coin hunter I'm after Indians, Silver and Coppers. Old nickels are nice, but I usually hunt for them down the road after I clear a site.

Goodmore, sounds like we hunt a similar fashion...I need to hear 4 distinct tones in the silver/copper range, or at least 3...so i can tell a penny from a dime, Q, or Half...you guys can set up the tone parameters on the Deus to meet that need? maybe set up the nickle tone as one, and the other three like that?
Mud

mudpuppy said:
Goodmore, sounds like we hunt a similar fashion...I need to hear 4 distinct tones in the silver/copper range, or at least 3...so i can tell a penny from a dime, Q, or Half...you guys can set up the tone parameters on the Deus to meet that need? maybe set up the nickle tone as one, and the other three like that?
Mud

I don't have a lot of experience with the 4 tones but I do believe I understand how they can be setup. Because the four tones must cover the full 0 - 99 range of possible targets, I don't believe you can get what you are describing. Essentially what you are able to do on the Deus is to divide the 0 - 99 range into four sub-ranges. You can assign any frequency from 200Hz to 791Hz to each of the four sub-ranges and you can even assign the same frequency to multiple ranges.

The first tone is dedicated to the discrimination range set by the Discrimination setting which defines the boundary between the first and second sub-range. The other two sub-range boundaries (2 to 3, 3 to 4) are fully user configurable as to the boundary point and the tone associated with it.

Somewhat hard to describe properly buy actually very simple to setup.

No pun intended mudpuppy, maybe you could add the notch feature in your tone settings to accomplish what you are after. :thumbup:

I have never liked multiple tones except ot the Minelabs. They are a whole different breed. Multi tones I tend to miss the not so solid hits.

mudpuppy said:
I need to hear 4 distinct tones in the silver/copper range, or at least 3...so i can tell a penny from a dime, Q, or Half.
Mud[/quote

You probably could set up separate tone ranges for pennies/dimes/quarters/halves if the Deus had more tones and an expanded audio frequency range. They would still be pretty darn close together though, especially in 18kHz where the conductivity range is narrower at the upper end of the scale. Personally, I would like to have more tones. I

I like the 3-4 tones. I know I have a round or pure target when the tone is solid. If its a blending of the tones (aside from the target being right at the threshold of tone change), I can presume that its a mishapened target like slaw, thin like foil or wire, or of 2 or more alloys on/or near each other.
The Minelab Sovereign GT that I have is nice in the fact that its a variable pitch depending on target alloy, the pitch change between a coin and some pull tabs is so subtle that its very difficult to tell the difference in the field without a meter.

Thank you all...I really need to just try one of these XP's out someday...
Mud