Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tombstone, Arizona

ScouseRicey1

Hi there,

I am in Liverpool, England. A while ago, I visted Tombstone whilst on holiday (vacation to you lot!). Anyone know if anyone's ever detected around there?

Kind Regards,

Colin

Yes- I actually lived there for 6 years late 70's into 80's. I used an early detector and found lots of goodies. However I understand the place has grown some. Back then there was no restrictions on hunting in town or surrounding mine sites, of which there are many. There are a number of Ghost Towns nearby - Such as Gleason. The gullies and drywashes arround Tombestone were exceptionally good. Lots of old bottles too. If I was thinking about detecting there these days I would do some research on where its legal and where its not. Then you might look at legal areas using GOOGLE EARTh and the WEB. HH Don

Hi Don,

I wonder what the legalities are regarding detecting the desert? I stayed in a hotel, not far from Boot Hill. I wonder who owns the desert!

Kind Regards,

Colin

I never detected there but I did find lots of surface finds walking through the outskirts of boot hill .Old railroad type spikes ,nice ol;d bottle peices,china . Not worth anything but I still have the stuff and know that it was a part of the history there. The history of that place is amazing!! You just have to watch for cactus.

I can clarify that for you. The desert that surrounds Tombstone is owned by a mix of registered mining claims, Open grazing land leased/owned by ranchers, Federal Public land and State Public claimed land, and ranch homesteads and private home sites. Many of the old mining sites claims have expired if they have not been worked on. What I have found thru recent research is that the State of AZ has laid claim to most of the land along the San Pedro River West of Tombstone and they claim historical interest in many other areas as well. They seem to have a fixation on declaring site and land restricted for water right, historical sites , you name it. Their directives for such restricted lands, without exception, specifically ban metal detecting. The casual MDer would have little impact on such lands as you probably noticed during your visit. Before anyone decides to bring a detector to the area they should contact the State of AZ regarding any restrictions. I think you will find it pretty well limited to private property. The trouble with looking back twenty years is thats you can see all these senseless restriction to private citizens using public land. It makes me sick. Few Detectorists posting on this forum and other hobby forums have shown interest in fighting to preserving their rights. US National MD organizations have left it to individuals to fight this battle. and not one has taken a pro-active position. The US detector dealers and manufacturers$$, have contributed a thunderous silence in support of any efforts to reverse or stop Federal and State actions. Take warning - US Public Parks and Public Beaches not aleady closed to MDtecting are on some State or Federal list, to do so. For those of you who think not - pull your heads out of the sand . Thats the way it is in the USA. HH Don