Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Toltec 100 vs. all other Tesoro Detectors?

Digitalmoto

How's it rank overall, among the other newer Tesoro detectors?
Toltec100= Circa 1987/88

And....... how's it compare with the top of the line Cortes?

Howdy digitalmoto...........

Back during the spring of 1994,I got acquainted with a guy that had a Toltec 100. He was a small Tesoro dealer,and he was quite proficient with the old girl. The Toltec 100 was out of production at the time,but I was impressed by
the finds he was makeing with this machine.
During this time period,I was running with a White's XLT,which was the newest thing on the block.I was a newbie to the hobby, and could barely find the fresh dropped coins on the ground with my high dollar machine.Nothing was wrong with my XLT,it was because I was a complete newb.
He liked the Toltec 100,But he thought it was too heavy of a machine to tote around all day! And this guy was a BIG guy.He was into detecting since the early 80's and had tried many different machines,and liked the Toltec 100 so much that he became a Tesoro dealer.
A little lateter that spring,he was running the newest ID machine from Tesoro, the Toltec ll. He let me try the Toltec ll out,and I ended up buying one for my Wife {he,he,he} Now the XLT is long gone,and we still have the Toltec ll.End of story.HH.......Hombre

[size=medium]The Toltec 100 was Tesoro's first Target ID model and can still do well for 'routine' coin hunting duties today. While the display is a analog meter needle type, it was still 'segmented' in function. That is, a processed signal would be reflected with a needle read-out that fell into a particular segment on the display. It wasn't a "free-floating" needle registry such as the White's 6000/Di Pro, etc.

For some, me included, the Toltec 100 was just a bit too top-heavy and poorly balanced to be enjoyed for long periods. It had good audio 'bark' when responding to a target, and ample control function, but it did have one major limitation for serious duty at iron littered sites. That was the minimum Discriminate setting which still had too much rejection. This bias against iron cause more target masking.

The Toltec II replaced the Toltec 100 and I think that was perhaps the best Target ID Tesoro yet. It was in a lighter and/or better balanced physical package, and the main advantage or improvement it featured was the ED-120 Disc. circuitry. This expanded discrimination (on the low end) meant more acceptance of lower-conductive targets, and that resulted in less bias against iron trash, such as nails. This resulted in superior performance in the heavy iron-littered renovations sites and old ghost towns I favor.

The current "top-of-the-line" Tesoro TID model, the Cort

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm just really on the fence about getting another detector.
I saw a Toltec100 fetch over $300. on ebay a little over a mth ago. Thinking about mine, but most say to keep it as a backup which I'll probably do.

As for what you said.......
[quote Monte][size=medium]
I am holding out hope that the folks at Tesoro have taken a real serious look at what the competition has to offer and they will bring us a new, much improved TID model i the near future..
Monte
[/size][/quote]

I guess it would be a good idea to wait them out a little longer if I'm going to try and stay brand loyal. How long has it been since Tesoro released a new mdl, and what was it?

Hi digital. As far as I know it's been 3 to 4 years since Tesoro released
their "HOT" models, the Tejon, Vaquero and Cibola, with more gain
in the receive circuits for those deeper beepers, but as far as new ID
models or other designs, I'd say don't hold your breath since it seems
for all intents and purposes that the Tesoro boys are still just simply
resting on their considerable "laurels" for now, alas.:ban:
..W