Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Today's Finds Part 2! Coin spill and ID help

grahamcracker

This is an update to my post yesterday about an 1864 IH I found at a new site with nothing else to show for it. Well, re-visited the housesite today and made out great. Also, got my first coin spill, 3 more IH's no less, 1879, 1882, 188?!!! Also found a 1919 wheat penny, 1945 S nickel, 1966 dime and 1985 quarter. Went away from the house today into the surrounding fields and found this awesome button. Now, it looks exactly like a Zouave button, but I am in NY and there was nothing Civil War around this area. I think I see a "N" and a "T" where the backmark would be. If anyone can share more information about this button it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I took some of your advice since this house was so junky and nulling a lot. I put it on iron mask with ferrous sounds and picked up a few of those coins I think I went right over yesterday. I am really loving my SE and this hobby! Thanks in advance

The likelihood is that any button like that is a plain civilian button from the mid 1800s, some people call all like that Zouve buttons, but that is just not the case. Unless they are found where Zouve's actually were, it would only be speculation that they were Zouve buttons. They were very commonly used as civilian buttons and on school uniform buttons and I am sure other uses. I guess the proper name would be a "ball button".

Don

That button appears to be 1830s because of the eyelet being brazed on. As far as civil war items go.... you have to remember it was common place after the war for soldiers to wear those uniforms and other cloths the founght in when they got home because thats all they had. I find military buttons here in Indiana as well as medals and we had almost no civil war action here. The Zouves ive seen are flat on the back yours appears completely round. I think they came in 14 and 16 MM size. Have to agree ... looks like a civilian coat size BALL button.

Dew

Thanks! I really like this button, I can't believe the condition it is in for being 1830's. I'm glad it was dropped in the woods where it wasn't disturbed at all. Thanks again for the input

Due to popular demand here are the pictures of some of the coins I found on the second day of a new site. The top row are the 3 indian heads I found in the same hole. Pretty good feeling when you get a coin from the hole and keep going over it and getting the same signal. The indian heads were at about 6-7 inches. I know 2 of the 3 are in pretty rough shape. For what it's worth I took the advice of a fellow forum member regarding the cleaning of the indian heads. I boiled hydrogen peroxide and let them "sizzle" for about an hour. They cleaned up nice, but as stated per the other forum member they look dried out after that. So, I put a layer of olive oil on them and dabbed the extra. Thanks for loooking!