Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Today's finds are dedicated to Bryce and James ND! :clapping:

bazooka

I post here very little but I read everyone's finds and I particularly enjoy reading about Bryce's and James' weekend stories because they really motivate me and help me to understand my SE better. I wouldn't have found what I did today without your guys' posts. I've got a little over 80 hours on the SE but have always struggled to get the depth out of it that others have been getting, but after reading so many of Bryce's descriptions about digging those faint signals that I normally probably wouldn't even have noticed, my understanding has grown alot as of today's hunt. My finds were meager compared to what you guys post, but I can certainly see the potential now.

I'm using the stock coil, ferrous tones, stock coin discrim (I don't feel I'm yet ready to use low iron mask or AM yet as effectively as I can coin discrim), gain 8, variability 10, deep on, manual sensitivity around 22.

The following is from my blog at dirtjournal.com.

11/07/08: Run Slow, Run Deep - I've been perusing the findmall forums and admiring the incredible finds those guys make with their Explorer models. They report some awsome depths and I really felt like I was missing something when I hunted with mine so today I wanted to go to an older but worked out park that should certainly have some old coins. I was going to go to *********** but I ended up at ********* because I've had just a bit more luck there and I figure it had less fill dirt.

It was a really beautiful morning...calm and cool - low 60's. I started off next to a newer basketball court and was going to work across an area that I felt had been filled but not so much that older coins couldn't be found deeper. I just focused on going really slow and paying close attention to the really quiet signals that hit in the upper right of my screen. I postponed my original plan though when I hit a screamer that was close to the surface on probably my fifth sweep for the day. The cursor was hanging off the right side of the screen just like a quarter and I like digging quarters, so I went for it. Low and behold!

110708ring.jpg

It's been so long since I've found a silver ring, I honestly can't remember...easily over a year. I was so glad to drop this one in my pouch! Well, back to plan A, slow and deep. I made one run down and back in the grassy area and was headed toward the side of the b-ball court when I got an interesting hit that was real quiet. It sounded good and was hitting along the right side of the screen but mostly toward the top. The depth meter was about one-third from the bottom, maybe less. I wasn't sure what to expect as I'd never dug any older coins in this part of the park, and certainly none this deep. I dug a deep plug which held together nicely as I pried it out and flipped it over. I Lesche'd a few more inches from the bottom of the hole before I saw a wheat bouncing around at the bottom. Alright! It was at least six inches, probably seven. It was a 1955 D.

Not far from that hole, I got another target that was very similar which resulted in another deeper wheat! I really feel like I'm getting the hang of this machine now! Maybe ten feet later and I get a similar target but this one sounded a bit better. I was expecting another wheat at best, but when I loosened some dirt around the bottom of the hole, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a silver Washington mixed in with the dirt!! Holy crap!

110708wash.jpg

Wow, this hunt turned awsome within an hour! My next target was close-by as well and it registered deeper than the others, almost bottoming out the depth meter. I dug and dug and dug. I was just about to give up knowing that there was no way a coin could have been this deep. The entire ten inches of the Lesche digger fit in the hole when my X-1 probe finally started to give me a response from the bottom. It sounded good...not silver good, but penny good. I was thinking no way there could be a coin this deep and was really expecting a pipe or an aluminum can. I pried out another two inches of dirt from the bottom and saw an aluminum scrap that may have been part of a bottle cap or lid of some sort.

110708deeptrash.jpg

Wow! It could have easily been a coin and I simply couldn't believe how deep the SE picked it up at for as small a target as it was. I still can hardly believe it. I put the tip of the Lesche where the scrap had been lying and the base of the Lesche handle was over an inch below the dirt line. That's almost twelve inches! This was probably the most exciting piece of trash I've ever dug!

Well, I worked the area some more and then wandered over to a spot that I had worked a tight grid with the DFX a few years ago and had found five or six wheats. The spot is a lot trashier than I remember it being, but even with the stock SE coil, I still found a '46 wheat that I had walked over before and I was just passing through the area to sample it. Just when I was wondering why I keep using the SE, it proves itself to me again.

I decided to save that spot for a different time and a different coil and went back to grid the area where I had found the quarter and the wheats. I didn't find anymore oldies or deep coins. I'm not sure if I started sweeping too quickly or what, but the area dried up pretty quickly and I was soon on my way home.

What an awsome hunt! I really feel like I found where the SE shines...in old worked-out parks where the only old coins that are left are down deep. I also learned to really slow down and I have a much better understanding on what to listen for. I can't wait to get back out there with the 6" excellerator to see what other goodies I can find!

110708finds.jpg

Nice going bazooka.:wiggle: I couldn't agree with you more about Bryce and James. They are two of the best as far as I am concerned and their tips have not only helped you and I, but several other forum readers I'm sure.:super: Good luck on your next outing and HH.

Eddie

Now that's the way to test the old class room lesson's by taking it to heart out to the field of learning by hands on. Good to know these guys are giving great knowledge here and I for one have taken some of it to the field myself with good experiences. Fantastic depth on the can bit and it only gets better if you have a place to hunt. Nice finds Bazooka and good luck on your next outing.
HH John

When I seen your post and started reading it, it put a warm glow in me and it put a smile on my face to see that all my hard work and Bryce's, has payed off on yet another Explorer User. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING....brings me more joy than seeing other succeed on their hunts due to my success or others that post here with their stories and finds and helping out others with their questions no matter what they are.

I don't think a lot of people realize just how hard Bryce and I work in going out and making the finds we do and then to come home and get everthing ready to post for you all to see. What takes the longest to post like we do is the cleaning of the Keepers (for me) and then to sit down and tell the story about that hunt. It takes hours of dedication just to get my posts up and running and it brings me joy deep down in my SOUL.... that not only it has helped others understand their Explorers better, but their finds are starting to increase, showing the user the way to a successful hunt even though we can't be there to show a little hand's on demonstration during their time outdoors.

Thank you for the great read Bazooka and I am so happy to have helped yet another Explorer User speed up the learning curve and get you onto the road to success in digging Deep for them Old Coins and other Treasures. Your hunt went great and if you really start focusing in Trashy Area's with the 6" Coil, you will no doubt be bringing home many more Keepers in your pouch and some will be Silver also.

Thanks again! You've made my Weekend Buddy!:thumbup: Continued Success, Good Luck and HH to you.:cheers:

You guys are great!:super: And so is Findmall Forums and all that have anything to do with them.:cheers: Oh! What a feelin'.:bouncy: Good Luck and HH!:thumbup:

n/t

I run a detecting site of my own so I certainly know how much work goes into writing about your hunts and posting the photos...even after everything is streamlined it still takes alot of time and dedication and I for one carefully read and re-read over every detail of how you guys hunt and your descriptions of what you hear and learn whenever it's provided. This really propels me foward to get out and have confidence that if you guys can come home with 5 or 10 or 15 or more silver each weekend, I should be able to get one or two as well. That quarter was my #12 for this year which seems to be a bit above average for what we find down here in the Houston parks, but you guys are raking in 100+ each year and that just blows my mind. Therefore I know I can do better.

have inspired you...helped you...motivated you...entertained you...anything positive...just by you reading my posts and Jame's posts. While it's true that James and I work our butts off...for me it is just a relaxing time...a chance to learn more about what the SE is telling me...and an escape form pressure, stress, etc. Yes there are days when I find only a few wheaties...one silver...and a few pieces of wire while chasing old injuns....okay okay..a LOT of wire pieces:bouncy: Never though do I leave a hunt site feeling worse that before I got there. At worst...I leave more determined than ever to come back AGAIN..and try harder to pop one more deepie form a pounded site. It is a challenge..and pleasure to try and pull a few more deepies from a beat up park. I always try and convey that into my posts as does James...and I also try and give little tips and hints as to what works for me. I never will tell someone what settings to use or try unless they ASK me. I have no problem telling others what works for me though...and if they want to try it...they have nothing to lose.
I truly appreciate your kind words and I know James does as well. James and I have always responded to each other's posts with absolutely ZERO competition...and nothing but 100% RESPECT. He's a good feller':thumbup: It means a lot to me to know you enjoy our posts...and it means so much more to know we have both actually helped you get to know the Explorer better. If we have helped you in any way through our posts....brother...that's what this forum and hobby is all about. THANK YOU BAZOOKA...for brightening up my weekend...from the bottom of my heart....thank you.

your respect. That means a lot to me...and I'm glad if James and I have helped people to get to know their machines better. It's all about fun for me...and I'm glad it conveys into my posts for others to enjoy. Take care buddy.

and to have a positive attitude when hunting to bring home some decent Keepers. If the positive attitude is gone, your hunt results will show this at the end. Sometimes, I have worries when I'm not finding a lot of things and see my hunting partners digging....but then I just relax and tell myself "don't worry about what they are diggin', concentrate....and you will start nailin' them"....and most of the time I get out of the rut and start kickin' butt. So having a positive attitude is KEY to having a Successful Hunt. Just remember that and you'll start seeing what I'm talking about. Thanks again Bazooka! You made my Weekend Friend! Good Luck and HH to you.:cheers:

a great tribute to a couple of our hobby's best. :thumbup:

Congrats on the finds Bazooka.

If you think Bryce is a big help on the forum, then just spend a day hunting with him. The dude is awesome. I had a blast hunting with him (and Guvner) a couple weeks ago and look forward to doing it again.

Bryce knows his stuff and is willing to share his knowledge. That is what makes him so special.

Bob Kononiuk

I'm flattered,,,and I appreciate it...sincerely. I had a great time too and can't wait 'til next season so we can meet there again.Maybe next time we can go to one of the other parks too....as long as 3 or 4 of us stick together:biggrin: I hunted there this year a couple of times. The first time it was just me and one other guy...and I didn't feel real comfortable:bouncy: Lot's of "action" goin' on all over...all around...and all through this park:smoke:
Take care buddy...and thanks for the kind words.

He "shot" me some a while back..and I have been doing much better. The first couple of hunts were awkward...but in a short time I started finding some deper silver. I don't find much anyway...but I definately started to find more good stuff. He is a fun person to hunt with and always took time to help me out.:cheers: