Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

To those of you who are a bit geeky and like computer gadgetry... Maybe you've noticed the RSS selection on the menu's...

Guvner

Administrator
Staff member
RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication and is for using a reader instead of our forum display software. A person with a reader installed: [www.rssreader.com] can just wait until our server broadcasts any new posts to any forum on our website. Your reader will look a lot like an email program. Very easy to use.

If you want to try this do the following: Maybe for example, try using the GPS Forum as it doesn't have as much activity on it as many of the others but when it gets something you really want to read it. To do this follow the simple instructions.

Download the reader from the above link in the preceding paragraph. It is a beta reader but seems to be working and it's free. Once installed open it up. Then go to the main index of our forums and open up the RSS version you'll see in the link next to the GPS Forum. It will open up a new page that looks to be nothing but html. Don't worry about how it looks. Go to the page address and copy the URL you find there.Then go back to your newly installed RSS Reader you've opened. Look for the + sign to add a new site you want to follow. Then add the URL that you've just copied to your clipboard by pasting. (Short-cut is Ctrl - V incidentally) Proceed adding it. Then go to your options and change the amount of time the reader checks for new posts to 10 minutes. Otherwise it will default to checking every hour.

This reader will also work on any site that has RSS feeds. You will find more and more reasons to have this as part of your desktop.

Hope some of you find this useful. Give me back some feedback if you do start to use it. I'd like your comments. Incidentally if you do read a new post and you all of a sudden want to open up the entire forum the reader has a button to do that. Very useful deal.

Guvner..

I definitely fit the profile. Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you know how it goes. (and Yes, I'm the dufus that couldn't work the index correctly).
Great site, BTW.
Tagamet