Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

to many hours researching.

rbholt80

. Don't think I could hunt all these in my lifetime and my research isn't done.
This kml file is huge. Most the places marked have no trace of anything left.
Maybe a project I should package up and sell just to give other detectorist a good starting point here in Texas on old places to hunt.
Needs cleaned up And names n spelling checked.

Yeah,that's something that got my attention that I really never considered before I got into detecting. Back in "the day" schools were spaced 2-3 miles apart...people walked....there were ALOT of schools! Most were used for other things too,but I haven't had the opportunity to hunt any,around here the ones still standing have been converted into private homes. People around here have some kind of fascination with that,whether it is/was a fad,I don't know. To find an old school which is in its original condition is close to impossible. In fact,I've never found one that is ORIGINAL. Thats a lot of spots to check out!

Same issue here. Most are gone. New homes or Schools built on them. Out in west Texas and central Texas theres a few still standing but the land Owners feel your a risk to Their insurance premiums if they allow you on the land. I'm truely tired if that excuse for being denied access.

Hey Rob. How you been. I used to live in the McKinney area, A lot of small towns and roadside gas stations that were going/gone back in the late '70s when I lived there. One thing I've always wondered is how many coins fell down in those deep cracks. I remember some of those cracks being an inch or wider. We don't get those up here. Cold up here this morning in Nebraska. About -7º. Good to see you back!

NebTrac

Good to be back. Well I'm alive. Been a rough few years. But I'm not going to whine about it. Good and healthy and met my oldest daughter that I Didn't know I had. She's 20 and has 4 kids. Made me a granpa the day I met her.
So its been Interesting. Iv loved it.

I here you about the permission,it makes me VERY hesitant to do any more door knocking. Some of the "YES" to "NO" ratios I've read about seem too good to be true. I don't even want to get into that right now,it's just discouraging sometimes. The one thing I always think about is that great spot,it must have old coins,it would be great....you spend 6 months doing the work,finding out who owns it,etc etc and for whatever reason you can't hunt it anyway. Seems like a bunch of screwing around for nothing at times. Maybe that's what it's come to...knock doors till you hear a "YES", no matter how long it takes. Parks and schools are getting thin,and there's usually ALOT of driving involved to get to the one you think is a winner. Most of the time,it's not a winner....for me anyway.

Yea iv drove hours one way to just find out I can't get on the land. Now days even construction sights are fenced off so you Can't chase dozers even. Like I'm going to hurt piles of dirt.
But places still turn up at times. And the old hunting spots that Have rested a few years tend to Give up a few more oldies for a day or 2

Are you in Central Texas, maybe Waco area? If so I am looking for a Hunting Partner. I have had a couple recently but none that invite me to hunt.

That being said I like to concentrate on old Houses and Churches. I know of a bunch that go way back within 30 minutes drive.

I also look for Vacant Lots. You know there was something there way back or it would have never been Subdivided. Even if there was not a physical house on the lot, the kids played there and lost something.

I'm between houston and Beaumont but I hunt more up your way when I can. East Texas to way out towards Brady Texas sometimes farther. I'd go hunting with you anytime I wasnt working.

rbholt80 said:
I'm between houston and Beaumont but I hunt more up your way when I can. East Texas to way out towards Brady Texas sometimes farther. I'd go hunting with you anytime I wasnt working.

If you are up this way give me a call PM my number

Try 3,858 Texas sites, with lat and lon, coordinates, history and coded markers that indicate what they are, from crossings, to springs, to ghost towns, to old home sites, old churches, schools, etc......Took me 3-1/2 years of work.....in the process of bringing it to market.. I, like you, will never ever visit all of them. Mine is truly one of a kind. HH

WOW. thats some work. i only invest about a year. awesome. im at a loss for words.
well i have long n lat and many transparent overlays but that was just a file i used to view on my phone. and i have most the Sanborn maps of any town in texas. got those back when they were free years ago. and plenty of embedded stuff. but you got it together and it looks good.

rbholt80 said:

Have you tried that stretch of 87 from Galveston to Sabine Pass? Lots of wide open beach and some of the best BBQ one could ask for.

rbholt80 said:
. Don't think I could hunt all these in my lifetime and my research isn't done.
This kml file is huge. Most the places marked have no trace of anything left.
Maybe a project I should package up and sell just to give other detectorist a good starting point here in Texas on old places to hunt.
Needs cleaned up And names n spelling checked.

Could you please explain how you found all of these sites? I need help with my researching. What was it that you looked for on- line or Googled or whatever you did?

old topo maps and google earth. very few maps i used were dated after 1964. i only wanted silver potent. takes hours to get the hang of it but once you do you can find just about any old site that was ever put on a map. its a lot of looking at topos and looking at google earth and back and forth. overlays and things help when in google earth. im no mapping expert and dont mess with gps much but i learned atleast enough to find places and mark them. you can send me a message if you want and ill try and give you a few links and ideas. wasnt there a mapping section once upon a time here? :unsure: