Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

To give you and idea how hard some of these Geo caches

George-CT

are to find I'll post a few pictures of some of the better hides. Some of these folks are masters at the art of hiding something in plain site. The GPS will get you close , at times right on it, just depends on overhead cover like trees, valleys and how good the antenna is our your brand of GPS. I've spend hours looking for some and walk right up to another. I enjoy hiding them as much as I do finding them. On days I don't hunt, yet someone has gone out and found some of mine, they usually post a reply on Geocache.com about the find. Seeing someone else enjoy the hobby and liking a hide of mine gives me a lot of pleasure in the hobby. The trick is to hide them well enough that a non geocacher, called a muggle, as they will often take all the stuff out of the cache or destroy it, is the trick. We have some downtown right in place site but unless you know its there to be found, you would never see it. I like them out in the woods better and tend to hide a lot of mine in old stone structures so that you can retrieve them even in the dead of winter as they will not be frozen in.

The smaller ones, or micros can be real hard to find andare not my favortie ones to find stickley as there are no travel bugs in them or Geocoins which I collect, take a picture of them, and move them on to their goal or mission.

Here are a few pictures of different types of hides.

The first one is a ground hide in plain site that was out in a meadow in the rocks. Yet, there it is in plain site.

#2 is a very well done large one in a log. Someone put a lot of effort into this. And lots of goodies in it to trade for. If you take and item, you have to leave a item.

#3 is a waterproof match container that can be bought in Wally World in sporting goods for 99 cents. The camo them and and hide them in many different ways. Ways that can drive you nuts. This one was hanging in a tree in plain site. but blended in well...

#4 is in plain view also. This is a puzzle type one. OK you found it,, but how do you get in it to sign the log book. They all have a log book for you to sign to prove you were there so bring a pen or pencil as some are missing. This one, you had to find 3 others to get to it. Each one had in a orange pill bottle had cordinates written on a piece of plastic, that you had to enter into your GPS then, to find the next one. Once you had them all, you had to figure out the combination of the lock on the lock on the pole to get in it. The nice part was he and she had printed up nice certificates for you to take and keep. Very well done cache

#5 is a rather easy one as its big. Its a large ammo box made to look somewhat like the rocks around it. It is also a Travel Bug Hotel near a rest area on the turnpike. Travel Bugs are articles with a tag attached that have a mission. Your job,if you take it is to try and place it where it has a better chance to complete the mission. It has a number attached to it also that you can follow on Geocaching.com and see where it ends up. Each time it gets found, if you checked off to follow it, it will send you and email telling you where it is. I had one, a toy GI joe that started in Iraq, and has been all over the world. One of my favorite's and it had traveled at last check over 230,000 miles from people moving it around. The Geocoins work the same but are really nice coins, people trade etc
and also tractable.

#6 and last for now but these are how hard they can get. this is one of the pine cone hides. These are hanging in with other pine cones on a tree. You can see them but which one is it. Usually the posting of the hide on Geocache.com will give you a hint if you care to open the hint. Often I have had to go and read the hint and come back to locate it. I do all this to keep me active. It gives me a reason to hike in the woods for something and it keeps me doing it all fall, winter and spring. I don't do it in the summer as it to hot and buggy here. Its a different form of metal detecting to me with a treasure at the end. Often the treasure is just being outdoors after a fresh snow, or coming back home after a couple hours in 10 degree temps and sitting by the woodstove, or having seen deer surviving in the open in New England. It don't take much to make me appreciate whats around me. I've had the heart jump started 2 times with the paddles. since 1996 all my days have been extra. I appreciate everyone of them. If my eyes spring open in the morning, its a good day, the rest is all gravey. I really try to keep life in the KISS mode or keep it simple stupid.

Ok, enough GPS photos for one day. I'm hoping Royal returns with a few today. I'll cache thru him today as its a record heat day in CT at 93 degrees and muggy. Saturday it drops back to the 70's and dry...

George-Ct

those are some great hides!! I found one today and could not find another. I will be going bck later as I figure it is there somewhere.

I always get to thinking, when I can not find one, that maybe it is not there any more and I am wasteing my time. You never know.

I am with you on the getting out and hunting. It is fun if you find it or not. I just wish there were others that I knew that enjoyed it.

One goes with me from time to time and uses one of my GPS, but he don't log any of them. I tend to look on Geocaching.com for the last time the cache was found. That should give you a clue if its still there and often more hints in their post. Yet, having said that, I have a few that have me on the ropes still. Last winter I went the other way and picked out all the ones that had not been found in a long time
and people posted they felt they were no longer there. I went out for like 5 days in a row and found them all. Some were not easy at all and took at least and hour on site to located it. I just found one that is about 9 miles from here I might go chase tonight. It has a Geocoin in it with the Geocaching Green frog like Icon called Signal. Never found one of those. Plus I have a Travel Bug called Fever Skeeeter I need to place. I'm still learning the in's and outs of a new GPS I just got also. It has a real nice tracking program in it that once your home you can see where you were in Google Earth or Garmin Topo. I've been picking some that are not way out in the woods but rather short hikes that I can take my road bike and it will still be there when I return, mostly in eye site at truck stops, or rest areas. Same problem with the Vette, can't take it or it will be gone when I return. Some of these toys bring out the worst in people.

They have a few night caches around here also. They hang reflective stuff on trees, etc and you follow those and the GPS. Gonna try one of those one of these nights. There is one up by UCONN that the students put out that is a 3 part one. there are 2 new ones out on a local lake on the islands also. Jane and I want to take the canoe down next week and get those. Bring a picnic lunch, and paddle around a little. I like paddling when the leaves are dropping on the lakes. Really a nice time on the water. There is a river not far from here with about 6 of them in a 4 mile stretch along the banks.... I got into one by foot and found it.

Geo

on a steel bridge that's one of the rivets! You have to solve a riddle or something to get the rivet count then another to find out which end to start from!:crazy:

that is similar in that you count bricks and its 2 or 3 parts to solve it. Not far from here. I'll try it one of these days.