Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

To all the newbies out there.....

Mike from MI "Iron Brigade"

Staff member
I went digging Saturday with my daughter. After a couple sites we stopped by one more on our way home. This was a small tot lot at an elementary school yard. The play areas were all sand. First thing I noticed was another guy detecting around the play sets. Next thing I noticed was the full size shovel he was using! If you are new or a seasoned pro, DON'T TAKE A SHOVEL IN ANY PUBLIC AREA!!! :rage:
Shovels are made for digging a lot of dirt. That is exactly what the public thinks when they see you with it. Don't get places closed for the rest of us! This area was sand, you can use a scoop, or move the sand with you shoe to find your target. Then last night I went to another public school with a large grass area where I dig some silver now and then. I found some 12" diameter plugs where someone else had been. They were sticking up like a cork partly out of a bottle. :rage:
Come on you guys. Do it right or put the detector back in the closet. We welcome all you newbies into the hobby, but don't want places closed to to poor digging practices.
Can I get an AMEN?

I agree wholeheartedly. There is a strange lack of thought by many in this hobby.

One fellow I know used to take a PICK!

However, after a bit of a talk, he now boasts that he winkles the coins out with a screwdriver, that is he digs no hole at all.

So there is hope in educating these rather unthinking individuals.

go through quickly to find the goodies and leave a mess which are blames on the regular detecting guys and gals, when the others just travel from town to town, park to park and get what they can and move on before caught or if they are they just don't care and go somewhere else! For shame! :thumbdown: :angel: Ma

Amen to that!
I've enjoyed getting to practie in my own yard, and a little common
sense and research goes a long way.

...Mike...you need to post this in one of the regular forums where the majority of our detecting fraternity can see it....I hate to say this but in this day of the internet.... sales are non-personal ...no hands on advise from the local metal detector dealer...sounds like this guy bought his detector either from the internet or from Wal-Mart .......the local club or local detector dealer is the key here but many people opt to save money and so goes the neighborhood......

Shovel = Deep woods detecting. (That's the only time I use a shovel, and it's an E-tool) A 12" plug isn't a bad thing Mike. Let's do the math here. 12" plug = 1/2 hour of locating target X 3 hours of detecting = 6 maybe 8 targets. So the mathematical equation would look like this: 12P X 0.5 X 3H = 6T or in simple layman's terms... "NOT A LOT OF DIGGING = DETECTOR IN CLOSET IN 2 MONTHS".

The thing that drives me nuts here in the south are the guys who cut 6" plugs at parks in the SUMMER. Great you filled your hole back in. And in a week there'll be dead spots everywhere because it's DRY. Thanks for the post Mike.