Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

To all GTI2500 users / I want to dig deeper targets

gutzdigger

Hey all you 2500 PROs, I,ve had my 2500 for over a year and can't seam to dig anything old deeper than 3 or 4 inches. I am hunting old undisturbed yards and parks and only coming up with clad and maybe a recently lost piece of bling. My hunting partner uses a DFX and recently has been kicking my butt. He has'nt been digging as many items but his are older and deeper. I'm not used to this! Please Help Thanks, GUTZ

Well its taken me 6 months of detecting to start getting 4-6 inch targets with any consitancy. How long have you been detecting? Alot of deeper targets dont give you a consistant hit on every swing. Maybe you are missing deeper signals, because there iffy and you skip over them or think there junk. The last three merc dimes i got were at 6 inches and none of them gave me a great signal. I pinpointed them to see if it was a compact target, and i would wiggle real fast over the target and it would come up as a good target. Go over an old area youve done already and found a good amount. work slowly. Find the iffy targets, try those techniques. I bet youll find plenty of stuff 4-6 inches. Now i've got to work on 6-8 inches. I asked the same question after the first 4 months of detecting, the last 2 months ive been getting those 6 inch coins. OR your unlucky Or your machine is malfunctioning or the settings are way off. Not probable. Find the iffy signals, use the wiggle and the pinpoint and dig some. If the pinpoint is spread out dont dig, if its compact and loud do dig.

I suggest you hunt in jewellery mode or coin mode for a while. You don't lose any depth using these modes, as Garrett's only remove the audio. The cursor will still show what is under the coil. Run your sensitivity as high as you can.......one-two notches back from where the machine starts falsing a little. Keep your coil parallel on the ground, even touching the ground to get maximum depth. Keep the swings at a steady swing speed, about 1-2 feet per second. A deeper coin signal should give you a stable, consistent sound. Not sure? Run the coil over the target in different directions. A coin should continue to give a decent signal. Don't get too wrapped up if it reads penny, dime or quarter. If its in the coin area, dig it. If the readout tells you its around 4-6 inches, it should be an older one. Make sure you have the bell-tone option turned on. It will notify you of good signals.

Don't get too competitive with your buddy finding more oldies. You both have great machines. The GTI 2500 can holds its own. It takes time to get proficient with any machine. Just go out, hunt and have fun. The better finds will come in time..... :)

Have you tried all metal? There may not be anything deeper where you are digging. It's a myth that all old coins are buried halfway to China. There are two guys from here in Portland right now touring the east coast metal detecting with Explorers in several states looking to find at least 100 old silvers. They are a long way from it and most of what they have found is in the 4-6 inch range and they have found some oldies.

Will need a little more info to help you out. How do you have your 2500 set up?

Bill

I don't have a 2500 but I purchased a gtp 1350 about nine months ago. several of my hunting pal's have dfx's and i feel that the 1350 finds as much as the dfx. at least on our hunts anyway. i have been detecting now for 8 years with several different detectors including my soveriegn, which I have the most experience with. I can take the 1350 to my old sites and usally find something that i missed with my sov. i have found coins in the 7 to 8" range with the 1350 with no problem. low and slow sweeps are the key to detecting the older targets and practice makes perfect! i'm still learning my new garrett but my confidence grows with each outing and each good find.

I had a DFX and had a program in it from my dealer and he said it was a hot deep program. I also got a book on how to set it up for deep hunting. I can say that I found nothing deeper then what I have found with my Garrett. So I now use the 2500. I've had the GTA 1000 power master,GTI 1500,GTI200,AND the 2500. I've had whites and a fisher coin strike. They all found coins at the same depth as my Garrett never found anything deeper. 8 or 9 inches should give you a good tone . When your friend finds a target go check it out I bet you'll get a tone on it! I know when I got my Gti 2000 I went back over places were I used my 1000 and found deeper coins.The 1000 was getting coins at 6 or 7 inches. The 2000 got indian head pennys at 7 to 8 inches so a quater would be at greater depth ( Bigger target )
At a beach my friend was using a minelab detector and could not get a good pinpoint and ask me for help pinpointing. So I went over it with my GTI 1500 and got a large D target signal so I walked away but I went back over it again from a different direction and got a coin size reading after a hole of about 8 1/2 inches out came a silver dime. So no problem getting those deeper coins. Anyone who tells you their digging coins at depths over 8 inches all the time is a story teller.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. To answer a few of your questions, I've been hunting for several years. I first started with a Radio Shack cheapy, moved to a White 6000 DI pro about 15 years ago. I now own a Whites MXT that hardly ever leaves the house, My 2500 and I bought my wife a ACE 150. Detector Poor Huh! I guess I've been in a hunting rut because of the turn on and go of the 2500. I mostly use jewlery mode and dig most solid signals and skip the iffy ones. That may be my problem. I'll use some of your suggestions and see if this helps. Thanks again GUTZ

I've dug the H out of coins 4-6" (25 this year over 100 years old) with my 1500 - are you dealing with heavily mineralized soil?
I usually set it up for zero mode (all metal on the 2500) and notch out the bottom 2-3 (iron scale). Air tests for me at sensitivity 9 with a stock 9-1/2" coil is around 10-1/2" for a US quarter.
Some people have reported deep silver showing up in the iron scale.

Yeah a few years back I pulled up three Barbers in the same hole at 14 inches plus with the 2500 - and under a tree root.

Bill