Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tips on Pinpointing with a DD 6x10

Kenfen

Hi there, I'm new to the MXT and I just put on the DD 6x10 coil. I've been out once with it and did well. But, I could tell right away that I need some help Pinpointing with it.

When the signal is the loudest, where is the target?

Any tips on how to best pinpoint with this coil?

Regards,

Kenfen

can "pinpoint" somewhat conventionally once we master detuning and develop an 'ear' for discerning signal strength.

However, here is the simplest and perhaps best answer:

When the signal is the loudest, where is the target?... The target is somewhere along the narrow 'line' from the front-center to the rear-center of the coil.

Any tips on how to best pinpoint with this coil?.... Visualize that "line", front to rear, and then turn 90

Sounds good, Monte..... It really just boils down to practice. I did well this morning, but I had a couple of times that I dug above the target, and I ended up cutting two plugs instead of just one....

So if I'm consistently above the target, I'm thinking I'm in the center of the coil, but I'm really toward the rear more than I think... at the end of the hunt, I took a little extra time in PP the target and was hitting it much better.

The twisting around method sounds good, I also got good results by just stepping around to make the perfect angle...no biggie, maybe if I'm hopping around I'm burning more calories, always a good thing.....LOL

I think, and I'm really new, but I'm thinking that I'm getting more separation with the 6x10 than with the 950.... can you confirm this for me? Should I be getting better target separation with the dd or am I imagining it?

Regards and many thanks!

Kenfen

I have been using a DD6x10 for a couple of years now. When I detect a signal, I move the coil left and right to get the strongest signal, then just move it back and forth to get the strongest signal. The target will be just in front of the rod going to the coil.

Hope this helps.

That helps a lot..... So you use the dd instead of the 950?

regards,

Ken

6x10 as with most Double-D (widescan) coils compared with a concentric wound coil, regardless of their physical shape. (Remember, widescan and concentric coils come in both round and elliptical shapes, depending upon the maker)

As Upwind mentioned, you can pinpoint using a traditional technique, but many find it takes a little more time to learn to do this well with a DD coil.

Monte

Upwind Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been using a DD6x10 for a couple of years
> now. When I detect a signal, I move the coil left
> and right to get the strongest signal, then just
> move it back and forth to get the strongest
> signal. The target will be just in front of the
> rod going to the coil.
>
> Hope this helps.

I found mine pinpoints exactly the same spot. About an inch in front of the rod.