Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tips on dealing with Treasure stories

FatCat1

Hi All,

Well here in New England we are, or should be in research mode. The reason? A short season, limited hunting time, and limited hunting opportunities. We can all agree that going to the same old school yard is not going to get us the goodies that we want. Finding new areas to hunt is the way to achieve our goals, I think. A seasoned detectorist had told me that the best leads he gets are from elderly people in town. You know he is right. But truth be told, there is lots of very good info given, and lots of stories told. This hit home the other day as I read the post of the guy looking for a buried tractor... it's typical of the kinds of stories I hear. So how do you spend your valuable hunting time, how do you tell the wheat from the chaff?

Here is how I prioritize the time I get to hunt and whether the story gets my attention. It's very easy.... try to get answers to the Who, What, Where, Why, and How.

Where is important, but doesn't rank too high. If I were to hear a story about a cache of coins buried at a homestead.... I think I could handle that. I am pretty sure that I could tell where the old house is or was. But even if I couldn't, the sites in RI are usually small.... High chance I would be looking intently. The guy looking for the tractor has it narrowed down to 5-8 acres. Hmmm, I'm knocking point off here... 8 acres is lots of detecting on an old farm that maybe nothing interesting happened there. Hopefully your research tells you that there were revival meetings there. This can be the most fun for us because we can look at topography, hills, trees, rises in the land etc.

What is somewhat important. Many times you don't get a specific what.... you get hidden jewelry or old coins, of gold. The what really doesn't matter much because whatever the what is, it usually is worth something or we wouldn't be having this conversation, right?

Who can be critical folks. I'll take the tractor story again. The dad, son, and the hired hand knew exactly where this tractor was buried. Now here's where you need to think about the big picture. Is burying a tractor an unusual or normal behavior? Be critical here. It was pretty common for families to hide their money during the great depression. Also, there were no ATM's, credit cards, paypal, etc. so cash was much more common. I would never raise an eyebrow to learn a family stashed cash on their property.... it really wasn't that uncommon. It would appear that burying a tractor is very rare. I bring this up under who because my reasoning is that you would tell more people about the crazy time you had burying a tractor than burying cash. The guy who was hired to buried the tractor would probably tell lots of folks that story. Again the who question is critical. Everyone involved in a story, especial a family one, has had access to whatever your hearing (many times, but not always). Remember, metal detecting has been around for a relatively long time. There probably has been many family members that could have found this treasure too. Heck, if the guy is telling you the story, assume lots of people knew or know about it. Well, don't get discourage here either. Even if some people know about it, maybe they didn't believe it, maybe they don't have the detector, the time, or live out of state, maybe they screwed up the where, maybe they lacked the technique to recover the what. It's just something that you need to be aware of.

For me though, the first thing I ask is WHY. It just needs to pass the smell test here. Why would someone hire a person to bury a broken tractor? Here's where I get really concerned. I once heard a story about some robbers who would steal jewelry and other valuables and then hide them at a location in the woods. So I asked WHY. Why would these robbers go steal things, get away with it (i guess), and then risk going to the woods with the loot? Plus digging a hole to bury the stuff seems like another opportunity to get caught. The old guy said that they didn't want their wives to see. Does it pass the smell taste. Maybe, but seems really really really weird. There were 3 robbers. Why not split the loot? I guess it's possible. And this is a story that I went with. Yup, searched plenty of woods and found nothing but a few clad coins. The stranger the Why, the more newsworthy it should be. I read a story here about at very very rare unique tractor that was found buried in MN. Things like this folks make news. Before I go on a wild goosechase, it pays to make friends with the librarian. Microficsh is your friend. If you ask when the event happened to might be able to find a clipping on it.

I don't mean to discourage anyone out there from searching for the biggest greatest treasure ever. I don't want to say that a rare tractor couldn't be buried. But for those who do plenty of research... you should have so many ideas that you need to prioritize. These are some of the ways I drill down to what I think would be profitable outings.

To a wonderful 2011!

Great post FatCat! So much of my time has been spent researching and chasing caches this year that I've begun to realize that the first, best approach is to try to rule a story OUT before even assuming the least part of it is true. Asking why is a HUGE part of this process. Most stories are exaggerated, mainly because they've been told and retold by the time we hear it. The outlaw example is good because so many of them had a rob, party it up, rob some more, then get hung lifestyle. They were gonna spend that loot as fast as possible and only cache it if they had to! Certainly there are many reasons an outlaw cache might not have been recovered, and that's what keeps us going. Farmers, well..sometimes there is information and sometimes not. My approach is that I'm going to focus on finding cool old stuff, and search for caches at the same time, but not expecting to find one necessarily. I don't research old farmsites quite as much because of the other stuff that I focus on takes so much of my time.

Research means thinking outside the box! I've had many forehead slapping revelations just by accidentally running across some snippet of information from an unexpected source. You want to cross reference as many details as possible to be sure they are correct. Having said that, I'm heading out the door to go search a site. I'm not the first to do this at this location, but I know one thing because of my research-barring the several caches all being found and nobody saying anything, they WERE there at one time, one of them was found in 60's, and noboby but me has had permission to hunt here since at least 1990! Wish me luck-I'm off to get muddy...!

A story that I hear time and time again up here in northern MN, is that the old Finnish ladies would bury money in their gardens. And I have had at least one person ask if I would come over and look in their old gardens. The only catch was that I had to do it when her husband was'nt home, otherwise he would put gunshot in my rear-end. Makes you wonder. I told her I would'nt look unless her old man was out of town...still waiting to hear back.

If somebody asked me to metal detect without the husband or wife's permission, I would decline. Not so much out of fear of bodily harm, but it would be a major concern.
Ethics would cause me to decline such an offer as well as legal reasons. In one of Mr. Garrett's books a metal detector hobbyist receive written permission to search for a hidden cache after doing quite a lot of research and found the treasure. However, due to the fact that the landowner's wife did not sign the agreement, he lost out on the find after all his hard work and research. There was a cache, but by the time he hired a lawyer and took them to court, he would have had nothing left. That's assuming he won the case. Lesson learned and he moved on.
I would love to find a treasure like Charles Garrett did with the Eye of the Needle treasure in Utah. The video was fantastic. 12 gold bars and a hidden single action revolver. This represented years and years of research, but it certainly paid off.
Treasure legends grow and grow and a small number of them are true and maybe they have not been found and maybe they have. My late Grandmother's favorite expression was: You can hear everything but the truth and money rattling.

fongu said:
If somebody asked me to metal detect without the husband or wife's permission, I would decline. Not so much out of fear of bodily harm, but it would be a major concern.
Ethics would cause me to decline such an offer as well as legal reasons. In one of Mr. Garrett's books a metal detector hobbyist receive written permission to search for a hidden cache after doing quite a lot of research and found the treasure. However, due to the fact that the landowner's wife did not sign the agreement, he lost out on the find after all his hard work and research. There was a cache, but by the time he hired a lawyer and took them to court, he would have had nothing left. That's assuming he won the case. Lesson learned and he moved on.
I would love to find a treasure like Charles Garrett did with the Eye of the Needle treasure in Utah. The video was fantastic. 12 gold bars and a hidden single action revolver. This represented years and years of research, but it certainly paid off.
Treasure legends grow and grow and a small number of them are true and maybe they have not been found and maybe they have. My late Grandmother's favorite expression was: You can hear everything but the truth and money rattling.

Do you have a link to that video? Thanks.

It was a video I bought with my detector called Treasure Visions-based on metal detecting in Utah. It might be on you tube now as it was made quite a few years ago.
Check out the Garrett videos on their site or some of the places that sell their books and videos.

Pyledriver, Hope you did well today.... sounds very exciting!

McDave, I'm with you on this one. Although instead of waiting til the husband goes out of town, may want to wait til he goes on the permanent vacation!:)

fongu said:
It was a video I bought with my detector called Treasure Visions-based on metal detecting in Utah. It might be on you tube now as it was made quite a few years ago.
Check out the Garrett videos on their site or some of the places that sell their books and videos.

Man, that's a blast from the past.:wiggle:I remember that from a loooooong time ago.:thumbup:That is an awesome story. I've got that old VHS tape layin' around here somewhere. I don't even know if they ever put it on DVD?:shrug:I doubt that it's on youtube, but that would be cool.:biggrin:Happy Hunting!:)

By the way, great post Cat!:clapping: