Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

tiny or DEEP?

BigErn

Just wondering if anybody else has this experience...So hunting in AM with the VAQ i get a signal that something is there. Just click over to Disc to see where it is going to break up and I hear nothing, not even a blip, click over to AM and something is def there? I have dug some of these and it is usually something so tiny i can barely make it out, only my pinpointer will see it on my hand. I have ignored a couple if these lately only to be paranoid that I missed something deep. My question is...is it possible that the target in disc is just out of reach of being read even when just clicked over and no higher? How much depth loss is encountered when you click over to disc from AM...I am using Rattler headphones and my GB is usually perfect to slight positive. Thanks!

I think the answer lies in the fact that the ultimate in power and sensitivity in a machine is only received when in all metal. In fact, many machines have full sensitivity which can't be reduced when in all metal as the sensitivity control only works in disc.. Try it and see.
HH
BB

Since it will detect deeper in all metal, especially in hot ground, than it will in disc., it is possible that the target is beyond its range in the disc. mode. It is also more sensitive in AM.

The deeper a target the lower it Discriminates. Example. A deep quarter's signal will vanish at about where a shallow zinc penny vanishes on the Bandido's Disc dial. I learned this
when I was learning to use my Explorer. A Explorer wizard told me not to rely too much on the meter. It's was all about the tones. I no longer swing the "tank" but it did
teach me a lot about metal detectors.

I hunt with a Vaquero most of the time and sometimes I get fooled by a tiny piece near the surface. I think that it is a larger target deep. My V reads just about as deep in discriminate mode as in all metal, if super tuned and the discrimination is set at foil. I use it super tuned where there is not much trash and it is a small gold magnet. I consistently find objects that are so small that they are very hard to find. I run into some lead shot that was about 1/8 inch diameter at about 4 inches deep and thought I had a real good target. When I could not find it at first, I knew it was not, but I sniffed it out anyway just to see what it was. When I got it out on my mat it sounded as big as a dime. I have never had a machine (I have had all kinds) that reads small gold as good as the V, or reads small objects next to metal poles and concrete as good as the V. - Bill