Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tiger shark operators

greatwhite

How much sensitivity and depth is lost when operating in the salt water mode?. Does using the larger coil (10)cause any problems or require any special adjustments to the sensitivity?

Wow..17 people took a look but no one had any idea.This is a Tesoro forum right? Doesn't anyone have any experience with the tiger shark that they might want to share? How much depth can you expect to get in the saltwater mode? Anyone?:sadwalk:

Howdy greatwhite

I have run a Tiger Shark going on 8yrs and have a good idea on what it will do in fresh water, but have no idea what it would do in a salt water environment.l have read on various threads on this subject that it will do ok, to not very good in the salt. The Tiger Shark does great on my inland lake areas,sometimes getting excellent depth. Think of the TS as a waterproof Bandido. HH..............Hombre

Thanks for the info . I didn't realize the Tiger Shark had been out for 8 years.I would love to hear how well the saltwater mode works.

Hombre is right on all counts.

Despite the advertising hype, the T/S isnt a top choice for the salt water. Tesoro is just one of the latest to try what everyone has failed at: making a mono-freq VLF detector that works in wet salt sand. No detraction to them, mind you.

There are ony a few detectors that come to mind that are both a) rugged enough to the job in the harsh marine environmentand, AND b) capabale of working well in BOTH fresh and salt water. None are Tesoros.

If the Tiger Shark is all you have, then take it to the beach. It would be dumb to spend $1000 on one of the others for a week's vacation. In clean wet sand at the surf line and in the Lane, you can expect 4" or a little more on a dime. In shin deep water, the depth is the same, but adjust your methods to accept the signal surge you get when the waves swell. Out in the Mine I can't tell you - I've never tried mine there.

I dont have the large 10" coil, either, but imagine giving it even more reflected signal from the salt by using a larger coil. Id plan on making some adjustements...

On the dry sand its all moot. Use what you want.

Don't get me wrong, I love my TS, but it is NOT a salt water machine! I have both the 8" and 10" coils, and couldn't pick up a clad coin underwater in salt mode, after properly GB'ing the machine when passed 3~4 inches below the coil. I spent a whole week in Destin, and have 3 pennies to show for it. I was out there 5 to 8 hours a day centering around low tide, and did nothing but waste a large chunk of my vacation. Unless you are properly equipped, do yourself a favor, and go deep sea fishing, its a lot more rewarding.
HH
Joe